How do I get my toddler to stop being terrified of using her potty for bowel movements?

The problem is only with bowel movements. Otherwise she remains dry and uses her little potty. I have tried promising treats, distracting with stories and even using suppositories. But it hasn't worked. She is too terrified. She would end up hiding and doing it in her panty. I know she is only 2 1/2 but I am tired of washing panties every day...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have heard that when kids that little r potty training they tend to not want to use it for poop because it makes them feel like they will fall in. Only time and patience on your part will help.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If she is only 2 give her some time. She's actually doing really well if that's all she's doing at that age. A lot of kids don't completley stop that until they are almost three to three and a half.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• is it just bowel movements that have her scared of the potty? do you have one of those little seats that fit on the toilet so she doesn't feel like shes falling in? try also maybe a small reward system may help as well
    lillymom828

Answer by lillymom828 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My oldest son did that. He would hide and then tell me he pooped in his underwear. But when he turned 4 he got a stomache virus that gave him bad diarrea. I told him that I was NOT cleaning up diarrea. And when he would start to get those diarrea cramps I took him straight to the potty. He would try to hold it in cause he thought it would hurt his little butt but it didn't and he realized that. After that he started pooping in the potty. Just before pre-k started too!
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i've been giving my son books and that's been helping... makes him feel comfortable.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My toddlers were afraid of falling in so I purchased a seat that sits on top of the regular toilet seat which is sized better for a child so they don't have the fear of holding on for the lives. and falling in.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• my 4 yr old is having problems with that too. She hides, and then we find her stinky and poopy...yuck...i hate to change that...and clean out the undies too...but she isn't patient enough to sit on the potty. It's very frustrating. the only thing I can say is to give it time, and be thankful that is the only thing that your child has problems w/ right now
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011