Politically charged violence?! Pftt! That's sooooo 1960's!!

For those who just CAN'T get off their soapboxes long enough to look around and process the fact that criminally insane people are simply insane, and would commit a violent act for the sake of committing said act, should really TRY and step back in time a bit, to when violence WAS part and parcel and an almost accepted way to voice political outrage!!

***

"Hey, hey , LBJ…
How many kids did you kill today?

Remember that one? I certainly do because, as a young leftie, I shouted it at many demonstrations. I also shouted “Off the pig!” and even went so far as to support, at least from a distance, the “Days of Rage” as described by John Jacobs of the Weatherman faction of the Students for a Democratic Society:

Weatherman would shove the war down their dumb, fascist throats and show them, while we were at it, how much better we were than them, both tactically and strategically, as a people. In an all-out civil war over Vietnam and other fascist U.S. imperialism, we were going to bring the war home. “Turn the imperialists’ war into a civil war”, in Lenin’s words. And we were going to kick ass.

And kick ass they did, hurling Molotov cocktails, setting off fatal bombs, and shooting police. Well, it was the sixties and the early seventies and that was what we did and said then. Ask Bill Ayers and others of the time who remain unrepentant. I’m not one of them. I think it was crazy.

But I bring it all back now for one reason — to point out that what we are going through currently, this supposed period of extreme rhetoric bemoaned by so many pundits and politicians, is but a minute radar blip compared to that era.

And some of these pundits and pols are old enough to remember. Apparently, they choose not to. But to remind them, we were in an era then of genuine political assassination — RFK, MLK — not faux political assassination (actually the purposeless, near random act of a paranoid schizophrenic.) But as I recall few were calling for us to dial down the rhetoric. The anti-government forces had tons of supporters in the media, silent partners cheering on all but their most violent acts (and who knows about those). Norman Mailer, among many others, made his life and reputation in such a manner on the “steps of the Pentagon.” Hey, hey, LBJ, indeed."

Read full article at link below:

LINK

***

Having ACTUALLY read the remainder of the article above (here come my questions! LOL)...Do those of you who weren't around, (or too young to understand), during the tumultuous 60's/early 70's STILL think acts, such as last weekends tragedy is something NEW?!  Do you REALLY think out of context POLITICAL COMMENTS are the REASON the criminally insane among us have chosen to act on their insanity?!

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 12:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think many who were on their first political rodeo in 2008 want to see times like the 60s and 70s. I dont know maybe they feel left out? Maybe they are reincarnated hippies?
    I do think that this shooting was a horrible tragedy that could have been prevented if the mental health system was not as broken as it is today. It seems everyone knew this guy was nuts, even the sheriff who had calls about him before this shooting ever happened. Nothing was done though and now people are dead and in the hospital. We need better ways to handle our mentally ill in this country, especially ones who show signs of violence.

Answer by gemgem at 12:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• clapping

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• well, as a history student i know things like AZ are not new and that our time is nowhere near as violent as the 60/70s. and my degree in psychology taught me to know that the mentally ill are so b/c they do not think rationally or "normally" and can find reasoning for anything they do, even when it doesnt compute to the rest of us. i know Palin and other's words/actions did not cause the tragedy in AZ. but even tho i know these things i dont see why politicians need to use violent lingo in order to win votes. we should expect more from our leaders...Dem or Repub.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Good luck getting through to SOME......
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• How about going back to the duel? Alexander Hamilton can attest to those days.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• But from president Obama it's all good ..says sweet ;)
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

***
    I think so too!! I think they want to live vicariously through their PARENTS, who were likely former Hippies back in the day, and their parents have filled their kids' heads with grandiose stories of political protests and "sticking it to the man!" LOL
    LoriKeet

Comment by LoriKeet (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• LOL! SOME people can't be helped at this juncture....I can only hope that it's not too late for OTHERS!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Comment by LoriKeet (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• you'd think we would PROGRESS past violence and thinking its acceptable

***
    yeah, you would think that the LIBERAL MEDIA and "progressive" liberals WOULD have "progressed" by now....too bad, neither they or their ardent supporters haven't given their just-below-the-surface-knee-jerk-reactions!!!
    LoriKeet

Comment by LoriKeet (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

•  

you'd think we would PROGRESS past violence and thinking its acceptable

***

Or that progressive ROGER AILES

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2011