Day 3 of..

Today will be the 3rd day of my 3month old son not having a poopy diper. My doctor told me to put 1 or 2 tea spoons of ceral bec he was spitting up lot.

He does not seem have a tummy ache. I know the cearal can constipate him. Should I have him some karo and stop giving him the cearal until he goes?

mommycoleyy88

Asked by mommycoleyy88 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO karo.Botulism risk.

Stop the cereal.... it does constipate.

I'm guessing formula? Any changes? That can cause spitup.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It's perfectly normal. They can go up to 10 days! My son went every 4-5 days at that age. Don't do anything unless poops come out hard and pebbly with a lot of pain.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Do not give Karo syrup. Just like honey it can carry botulism spores. Try some apple, pear or prune juice in his next bottle, just add 1oz to the bottle. Do that 1-2 times a day for 2 days then call the ped if it still isn't working.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I agree no Karo and no more cereal. Babies tummies aren't able to properly digest solids until 6 months.

My babies spit up a lot, I sometimes wondered if they kept any of it down. lol But they never showed any discomfort and continued to grow so I never worried about it much. Does your son show discomfort when he spits up or does it just happen frequently and that's why you were concerned? Did the Dr. think he might have reflux?

If he doesn't seem to be in any pain I wouldn't do much about the spitting up, other than burp often, try not to over feed, and keep lots of burp rags around.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My doc told me to give it to me as well as the cearal. He spit up A LOT that's why my doc told me to. I only gave him a little karo bec he's starting to get uncomfortable. The doc said it was fine.He was doing fine with the cearal.

I hope he goes after he wakes from his nap.
    mommycoleyy88

Comment by mommycoleyy88 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Docs sadly give poor nutritional advice. They really don't get training in it, except from the manufacturers of infant food. The Karo company itself says not to give the stuff to babies.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• so why would she tell me to do that? Wouldnt that be dangerous? She said only to give me ver little half a tea spoon. I did it today bec he's starting to get upset, i think. I dont think thats right. She wouldnt tell me to do something that could possible hurt him.
    mommycoleyy88

Comment by mommycoleyy88 (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011