weight loss

Is it hard for you to be on a diet financial wise? Healthier foods and lean meats are so much more expensive. Anyone else in my situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• It is tricky. Check out this website.
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/cheap_eats
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• You can shop at a regular store and get lower fat meats, like chicken and turkey on sale. Go down the outside aisles of the store, the healthy rows of produce and dairy, you will get your best healthy foods that way. and look for sales online at your favorite market. good luck!
    laur1963

Answer by laur1963 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I find that it is more work to be on a diet. You can boil your own chicken and steam brown rice and saute veggies, toss with some teryiaki and make stir fry. For me it meansi cant jsut pick up convience food (which is often on sale) instead i have to cook myown food and eat on it all week in order to be healthy and save money. I actually count my apples and buy 1 for everyday of the week. I buy a few extras for family but I make sure I have 7. It takes alot more thinking about meals to be healthy!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• when the meat is on sale you can try and get more of it. also if you see the price of a chicken breast with bone and one already cut, the one with bone tends to be cheaper, yes it will take a little longer at home to cut and prepare but worth the price.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 1:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think it was easier for me eat healthier by modifying the foods my family already likes. Take spaghetti with hamburger for example. I replaced the hamburger with ground turkey, the regular pasta with whole grain and the sauce for the ones with full servings of vegetables and throw in fresh herbs. There are so many things you can do with ground turkey. substitute it for whole grain hamburger helper too if you like that kind of stuff. I like to buy it in bulk if there is a good sale and double coupon days and freeze them. Plus frozen veggies are your friend. I like to mix chopped frozen brocolli into whole grain mac and cheese. my kid love mac and cheese but not brocolli on it's own. two birds one stone.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 4:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I dont really think that healthier foods are all that more expensive
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i don't find that eating healthier is any more expensive... instead of spending $5 on a 12 pack of soda, add that to your meats... instead of $3 for a bag of chips, buy some better quality pastas, or some veggies...
    asil

Answer by asil at 5:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• get stuff on sale. ground turkey isn't much more
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I agree it is . I try to get things on sale and I also buy local. It does not always help so I do what I can.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 12:40 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Watch for sales, checkout the farmers markets during the summer and fall.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:00 AM on Jan. 13, 2011