Compliments, is it a necessity in a marriage?

I guess I could take them or leave them. I'm happy with my husband either way. I know how he feels. He doesn't have to tell me I look good. Hell, he doesn't care if I shave my legs! lol Works for me I guess. :)

But I've got to thinking again. How is it for you in your marriage? Is it a must? Take it or leave it? A non issue?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't need to hear them all the time but it's sometimes nice to hear them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It depends on the person. Different people need different things to feel loved. Some people like kind words, some like to have their spouse suprise them with presents, some like to be hugged. All depends on you.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 12:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I wouldn't mind receiving them once in a while. I don't really receive them, so it would be nice to hear the person I love say nice things about me.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 12:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• it's not a must just something nice to hear every once in a while... but we do it for eachother..
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yes, both should compliment each other and find positive things to say everyday.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Receiving a genuine compliment feels great no matter who you are- For me they would be necessary, but it goes both ways!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• it is s positive step to healthy relationship
    not every day
    but appreciating each other and letting other know not taken for granted
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It certainly helps to know when your husband tells you that you are looking sexy today, during an excellent job with the kids, or to tell you the reason why he love you so much. You should honestly do the same to him, also.
    mamaoli

Answer by mamaoli at 12:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• for him it is a big deal.
    He wants to hear them from me.But I don't need to hear it.He is insecure though.
    i am not.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My personal thoughts in regards to my marriage (mine alone).

Compliments are a "need".Giving my hubs compliments is a manner of showing him appreciation. Giving compliments to him, in my opinion is even more important than receiving them Giving my husband compliments is one way of showing him that I do appreciate him, showing him that I do like/enjoy the things he does, showing him when he's been helpful, showing him that "You know what I do "see" and recognize what you have done and your intentions behind it".Giving my husband such kudos/compliments let's him know on a regular basis, what the things he does for me/to me/in general mean something to me, and that I appreciate him and them.

Showing my husband how much I love and appreciate him on a daily basis is important. I do not give kudos in hopes of some in return. That would not be a true compliment, that would be a transaction. I'm giving because I want.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011