Re-asking my question... How to get my co-sleeper 9 month old to sleep in her crib?

My daughter always slept in her bassinnete next to our bed untill around 5 months when she started waking up allot so I would just let her sleep with me from that point on bc it was just easier sinced I nurse her. So now shes 9 months and sleeping with dad and I but were ready for her to be in her own bed so we can be more comfortable. We tried putting her in her crib in her room but she cried and woke up 7 times a night for two nights and then we just pulled the crib in our room last night to see if it would make things a little easier for her and it was the same thing if not worse. It made me so sad to see her so upset so I would get up and pat her on her back and when she wouldnt lay back down and kept crying really hard I would get her out and walk with her. I know they say not to take them out but when there crying uncontrolably I dont think its right to just make them stay in there.I just need help bc I have a 4 yr old that just now started sleeping in his own bed and I still have to sing him to sleep every night or else he wont go to sleep. Im happy that hes in his bed now but I dont want my daughter to be 3/4 yrs old still sleeping in my bed or even room. I thought I would have figured this out by now but I guess not. Is there any one who can give me some guidence as to how to go about this. And sorry but Im not just going to let her cry it out for hrs on end, Im more of the type of mom to ease things in with my children instead of going cold turkey. Thanks so much for reading and hope to get some good feedback :) cause I could really use it.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Something like this is going to be hard to ease in to. If you're going to do it you just have to do it. It will probably be exhausting for a few nights, possibly a week or two. But if you stick with it it should work. Good luck!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Best damned method on the planet for what you're trying to achieve, right here: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

Answer by gdiamante at 12:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• you have to put her in her crib and leave her...i know it sounds wrong and it is very hard or was for me when she wakes up crying check on her if she doesn't need anything then walk away.. she will cry but you have to just leave her be check on her every 15 mins while shes crying..that's how i got my 3 yr old dd to sleep alone..honestly there is no other way to get her use to sleeping alone...

cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Wait until she's older. This is a horrible time for sleep in general, so big sleep changes aren't good to try right now. Try around 20-24 months... that's a really good time for transitioning with this sort of thing.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• You will have to just put her to bed and tell her this is where she has to sleep. You can go to her door from time to time and let her know that she has not been abandoned, but do not pick her up or go into her room. This will only reinforce her resolve that if she cries long enough, you will come and rescue her. The first night will be the worst. The second night she will cry for a shorter period of time. The third night will be even shorter. She will eventually stop it altogether. Every child has to learn to put herself to sleep, and the sooner she learns, the more sleep she and you will get--and everyone else in the house, too.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• cielo hit it right on. no easy way to do it, other than just do it. crying never hurt a baby. it'll be hard on your heart hearing her cry, but it will benefit both of you in the long run.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/1998/04.09/ChildrenNeedTou.html

Some dispute on the thought that crying never hurt a baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I agree that you have to tough it out for a few nights. You being consistent is the most important thing and best for her so she does not get mixed messages. We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same.  We would lay the baby down when we went through our routine and they were drowsy.   If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping.  GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• are you still nursing? If so, have dad go into her room when she is crying to comfort her if you are going to use CIO method.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 2:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I am sorry----I had my babies sleeping in their bassinet ,then their own cribs within a few weeks. If she keeps crying it is because she KNOWS that it will work. SHe has seen it work before so she will keep on crying. I guess you will just have to tough it out and let her know that her crying won't work anymore. OR...you can just let her sleep with you. My daughter can't bear to let her klids cry....she has kids with her even now that they are 13 year old twins and a 9 year old boy. I don't say anything but I think it was a mistake. They shoud be in their own rooms.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011