o.k. twofold question on t.v. and child

Does sitting close to the t.v. actually hurt your eyes? Second any hints/tips to get him to move back. There are times he is so close I can't see the screen. I'm thinking of putting a tape line where he needs to sit and if he moves closer, t.v. off. Is this too harsh?

sandbuster

Asked by sandbuster at 12:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you have ever watched that show Myth busters? They did a show on it and said that it doesnt hurt your eyes.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• To the first one: I don't really know. I guess I could see where that could cause strain...
    To the second: I would make sure his vision isn't already impaired (naturally) and that is WHY he sits so close. Other wise I would make it a rule he has to sit on the furniture or with his back tot he furniture. Though a tape line is not a bad idea.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• that is a good idea. i never thought about that tap line. yeah my dd stands right next to the tv. i always tell her to sit back and she is pretyt good about it. it can strain the eyes. i like putting the tape down idea.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Good idea- that's what I was going to suggest!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• my son's like that. he's fine in the livingroom but when it comes to the tv in is room, its on the floor right now, i have cought him sitting like 2 inches away lol. i tell him to move away but it being nap or bed time, he throws a fit.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• LOving: I don't get that channel, thanks for the info though.
    sandbuster

Comment by sandbuster (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• The tape line sounds good but make sure you follow through. Does he need his eyes checked?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• elizabar: no he just had his eyes checked.
    sandbuster

Comment by sandbuster (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't know about the eyes but television emits waste that is not healthy for any person....adult or child. So I would prefer limited television time and to sit back at an appropriate distance. My four year old rarely watches television. But when he does his chair is pulled back. If he gets too close - I turn off the t.v. and say: "When you make the choice to sit in your chair you may also choose to watch t.v." Or "Television is not for sitting on so when you move back to your chair you may watch." He doesn't like when he gets special t.v. time and Mom decides to turn it OFF. That is a tear jerker so he always decides to sit in the chair. It really isn't much of an issue. Plus we have a flat screen and I don't want him to pull it over on himself. It is a safety issue all the way around.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2011