(S/O)What are your thoughts on open marriages and swingers??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 1:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• We are swingers and it works for us. Not like we are having sex with other people nightly. We go to events for swingers 2 times a year and will meet up with friends in the lifestyle. We are both bisexual so we are able to explore that other side of ourselves. We have been married more than 20 years and are very happy so I really don't see what the big deal is. If someone doesn't like our lifestyle that is fine not for everyone. You need to be a very confident person and to have complete trust in your spouse for it to work.
    Anonymous

• I don't see a point in being married if you aren't going to be in a monogamous, committed relationship.

Answer by missanc at 1:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Cheating is cheating simple as that.I feel that swinging is just as bad as all the other ways you can cheat on your spouse.Why bother being married if that is what you want?
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• An 'open marriage' is like and oxymoron. Marrige by definition is between two committed individuals.

a (1) : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2) : the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage

If you want an open relationship then you don't get married.  IMO

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• To each their own! It's not for me personally, I can't share!!! LOL
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 1:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• gross

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Not my thing and not my business. I personally don't see how it "helps" marriages if anything I see it destroying them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• ."missanc marriage is about emotions and sex is simply that sex "

Maybe for you, but it rarely works out that way. Feelings almost always get involved with one or more of the parties. Feelings get hurt. Jealousy, awkwardness, and so much more. Most people who are swingers end up divorced or unhappy. I haven't met one yet that hasn't had any problems with it personally. If they say they aren't then it just hasn't happened yet.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i find the whole practice of open marriages and swinging ridiculous, and an insult to marriage. if you want to sleep with other people, whether you have permission to do so by your spouse, don't get married. it's that simple. you can't possibly think this won't eventually do harm to the marriage, somewhere down the line. sex is not just sex.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• "missanc marriage is about emotions and sex is simply that sex"

My marriage is about emotions AND sex.

Answer by missanc at 1:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011