• In the Spotlight:

Who wants to move TO Illinois???

Illinois Democrats handed Gov. Quinn a major political victory early Wednesday by voting to raise the state income tax by 66 percent and buy him some financial stability for his first full term in office.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Hell no, I'll stick to crappy old Utah. That's freaking nuts! I hope it doesn't pass.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Woo Hoo!! More taxes!! It's the DEMOCRATIC way to line their pockets "help" the poor! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It passed mommy.... Illinois is on our list of potential next moves.... Granted we are granted legal residents of another state, I am not sure I would want to buy property in Illinois.... I wouldn't be surprised if there is a mass exodus of people.... I don't see how this can help their states economy in the long term.

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yikes, I read it wrong. That's freaking crazy.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Not I. I would rather stay where I am.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I will pass lived there when I was a kid wouldn't dream of going back.
    Anonymous

• It sure did pass. Damn lame duck session. Not only has the income tax increased from 3 to 5% and 4.8 to 7% for businesses but our real estate taxes will no longer be a deductible item. We've already calculated what that will mean for us; the amount we'll be paying equates to HALF of what we typically pay in federal taxes. Insane. It's supposed to revert in 4 years but who wants to bet the farm that that will actually happen. Plus, they opted not to add the $1 cigarette tax. Quinn and the dems need to get their heads out of their asses.
    Anonymous

• Quinn originally wanted to raise it 75%. DId any of you catch the emphasis that he put on the fact that the Inaugural Ball was not paid for from taxpayer money? Wow, I feel so much better now (sarcasm implied).
    Anonymous

• What?!? Real estate taxes are no longer deductable? I missed that. That's crap. So I have to pay tax on the money I used to pay taxes with? And, no, it won't revert. Once they raise a tax, they very rarely lower it.

I am so angry at the Dem legislature and Pat Quinn right now. It's taking all I have to remember that there are words that I just don't say.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Oh great, all those Yanks will be moving to GA.
    :)
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011