I'm buying an appliance even though dh says no. What do you think?

I think I have every right to do so, just wondering what popular opinion may be. As far as money goes, I do not bring in what my husband brings in but I do contribute to the finances. Wanted to throw that in there in case it matters to your opinion. :) We bought a new washer last year, we had a good dryer so in order to save money we didn't bother getting a new one. Now that one has quit working. A while back it had a problem, dh didn't get to fix it for three days. We're a family of 6 so anytime without laundry equipment is not good. LOL He fixed it, no prob. Now it is not working again. This is day 2. This should be top priority and it isn't. So, I am going to go to Sears and pick up a brand new one with a warranty. He says no we can use the money in other places. the model I'm looking at is on sale for $400. We can afford that, the only part of the budget it will cut into is his "extra" spending. Would you go get the dryer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• You bet I would!!!!

Answer by older at 1:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• his extra spending? like guy stuff, drinking, video games, etc etc? In that case omg yes.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would give him a time line. Like - "I would like for you to fix the washer. If it's not fixed by Friday(?), then I'm going to buy a new one." That way, he has a chance to either make it a priority for him to fix it, or to let you spend the money - but the decision is his.

Answer by missanc at 1:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Personally no I wouldn't. If it is possible to fix the one you already have without costing a lot, that's what I would do. I would just tell him that if he doesn't want to agree on buying a new one, then he needs to fix the current one right away. If he doesn't want to fix it then maybe the best option is to buy a new one...but $400 is a lot of money and I could never just spend that without my husband's agreement.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yes I would.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My course of action would be to try everything I could to bring him around to my way of thinking before going out and purchasing something against his wishes. If he absolutely CAN'T be swayed, then you just have to weigh out what is a bigger problem for you: pain in the ass laundry problems, or your DH being angry at you (if you think he will be).
    Ultimately, if I knew I was right and he just wouldn't cooperate, I'd probably go ahead and do it anyway.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If the other one keeps breaking then there is something else wrong with it causing other parts to go bad. So yeah I would buy a new one.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I wouldn't. My DH and I make financial decisions together. How about a used one from craigslist? Perhaps there is a good compromise you both could agree on.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Tell him you bought it so he wouldn't have to keep fixing the old one.Like you were doing him a favor
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011