is it true at 14 weeks they can tell the sex?

this girl i saw today said she was having a boy and she was due in may. and i am due in may so is it true that i can find out the sex ASAP?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Boys can be determined that early sometimes, but not always. It's easier to see their parts for sure. I found out I was having a boy at 15 weeks.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 4:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• not all the time so dont get your hopes up. Most drs dont even do an u/s to find out til 18-20wks.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 4:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• SOMETIMES....but not always. I think it's a lot harder to find baby penises that early, so oftentimes little boys are thought to be girls. You're better off waiting until at least 16, if not 20 or more!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• you CAN but its not as accurate as waiting a few more weeks to find out and get a better guess.

your insurance usually won't pay for a second ultrasound unless it is needed. and at 14 weeks those organs are still developing, they are there but still developing. So what if the penis isnt big enough and fully developed and they tell you oh its a girl! and its really a boy. that would suck.

just wait a few more weeks.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Sometimes...but it's not nearly as accurate as it is just a few weeks after that.

It's probably best to wait until you're at least 17-20 weeks to find out :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• If you're just having one baby, you might not know the correct sex. I had twins, so I had an US every two weeks started at 22 weeks. They checked the genitals every time for several weeks. It was almost like the US tech was obsessed. If I was having one baby I would keep in mind that you never know 100% with one ultrasound.
    katythemm

Answer by katythemm at 4:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• It's possible. The genitals are formed around 8 weeks gestsation, but you might want to wait until baby gets a little bigger in size.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• boys are easier to see this early...they tend to let their "parts" just hang out at this stage...but girls are harder to detect...i saw my son at 15 weeks but could tell this one was a girl til i was 20...i swear it feels like forever to wait...too every last ounce of self control i had to not buy anything til i knew for sure. But yes it is possible if they are in the right position and you have a good us tech.
    MamaAnnie87

Answer by MamaAnnie87 at 1:11 AM on Nov. 13, 2008