Tuscon law against picketing at funerals...

Do you think there should be a federal law against protesting at funerals?

While I do believe in the freedom of speech and freedom of assembly, I do think that it should be illegal to protest at funerals since some people don't have the decency and respect not to.

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If someone was picketing at a funeral of someone I love, I would put them in the grave too.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Oh yes. Definitely!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• There is a time and place for everything. Protesting at a funeral is neither the time nor place.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I do think that there should a law about picketing funerals. It is very disrespectful that these Westboro Baptist Church people are doing. I feel like they should be arrested everywhere they go.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 1:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yes. That's what I said in another question. There needs to be a law in every state where picketing is ban at all funerals.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• No, because if they start making "laws" about that, then what else is the govt going to restrict? Do I think it is right picketing at funerals? Absolutely not. I think it is discusting. But many states have laws on how many feet they can be to the funeral.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• There have been multiple state laws proposed, some stand and some get struck down because they try to make them too extreme. The needs to not address "picketing" but "intentional disturbances". If the law is too specific, it will be worked around. If the law is too general, it gets struck down (one of them was so all-encompassing it would've been illegal for people to talk on the sidewalk while a funeral was happening anywhere in town). Once they find a happy medium that covers all the bases and doesn't cross over into 1st amendment territory, then look at crafting a federal version.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• This is just setting the WBC up to win another lawsuit. The law is unconstitutional.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I read an article online that they would not be picketing the little girls funeral now. They will be at the judges funeral though.
    Anonymous

• Yes it should be illegal, and they should have done something about the Westboro Baptist Church a long time ago!
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011