Does anyone else have to constantly clear their throat? Especially after eating?

For months now I feel like I have to clear my throat, no matter how much I try to clear it, it still feels like I need to clear it. It can be especially bad after eating. Sometimes it will turn into a coughing fit. Have you been to a doctor about it and what did you do for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Health

• I've almost always had that problem, but I'm pretty sure mine is from sinus problems. That's what my doctor told me a few years ago when I saw him for my allergies and stuff. Not sure what else could cause it, though. Bump.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• GERD ~ no kidding.....
    My horror story (not necessarily yours mind you).... I went for weeks not being able to clear my throat - finally went an ear/nose&throat specialist...... what he told me was "you won't be able to stop until you make yourself stop - as hard as that sounds, you HAVE to make yourself not do it. (BUT HE ALSO GAVE ME MEDICINE TO SOOTHE MY THROAT) --- and a diagnosis of GERD.

One month later (because I didn't take the GERD diagnosis serious - I spent 7 straight months broke out in hives, apparently brought on by an allergic reaction to my own stomach acid -

Now - 3 years later - my diagnosis is GERD/Asthma/Barrett's Esophagus AND Esophageal Spasms.

The moral of the story is this.... You TAKE you ass to the doctor and you take your body's signals serious, Young Lady!
    Rather it's sinus or GERD or something else - IT IS your body telling you something ain't right.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 2:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have this but it is due to allergies.
    deesam

Answer by deesam at 4:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Many possible causes ffrom allergies dripping in the back of your throat you could try an over the counter decongestant first to be sure like Guifenisen or clairitan just make sure you dont have health problems or are on medication to stop you from doing this, it could be GERD it could be throat polyps-small groths,benighn ,that grow usually need to be snipped out. Best bet t
    call your md he know you best and will direct you
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011