How can I get my 2 year old to sleep in her own bed?

Okay, so my two year old has slept with my husband and I since she was born and now, we definitely need our own time... She has a room and a bed, but I'm not sure how to introduce this to her... should i just put her in there and let her cry or what?

devnsmom08

Asked by devnsmom08 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would make a BIG deal out of it, build up to it, tell her every day "Friday night you get to sleep in YOUR bed because you're a big girl," let her pick out some sheets (my son loves telling the Thomas trains on his pillowcase "good night choo choo's"), and then follow the same routine you've been following but lay her down in her bed. She may protest, but stick to your guns and don't give in!

Answer by missanc at 2:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I went through the same thing with my lil girl. she slept with me until she was 2. then i bought my own house and she had her own room. it was time for her to sleep in her own bed. although it was really hard i would put her in bed and close her door and sit outside her room. she would cry herself to sleep. i always got chocked up cause i never like to see my kids cry. this went on for about 2 weeks. but she finally got the message. from time to time when i didn't want to upset her i would put her in bed and stay with her and tickle her face. she seemed to love that and would pass out rather quickly. she also had this lil glow worm toy that played music and that also helped on nights when we didn't want her to cry. hope this info helps you.

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Thank you! I always feel so bad when she cries and for some reason I kinda feel like I'm wrong... but I know it's time and I need to do it.
    devnsmom08

Comment by devnsmom08 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have 3kids, son is 22 & twins are5 . I spent the better part of older son's cgildhood w/ this issue, just to find him on the floor of my room every morning. I felt horrible but I was taught kids should sleep in their own beds. We had to move in with my dad& there was no room for him to have his own bed. He moved to his dads when he was 13 & when he came home every weekend he used the excuse he couldnt sleep in a regular bed since he had a waterbed at his dads&I do too. This went on till he was 16&I remarried. When our twins were born they slept with us & we love it. They are small for such a short time, it gives them (& us) such a nice security.My dh & I find other places for us time. When my older boy is in the area&doesnt want to go home, he sleeps with us. He says he feels more connected. He is no wimp either. He is a big guy & rolls beer for Bud! I say let her stay. In the long run you wont regret it
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011