Why would you want to take that medication?

There are so many medications out there with a loooonnngggg list of side effects. It's like you're better off dealing w/ the original affliction & forget the medication. How does the FDA approve this crap?!

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Health

• lol. that's what i think when i see a comercial, and the side effects are worse than the condition!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I was put on an anti-depressant. I was so spaced out and couldn't function while doing daily tasks. I thought I could handle the depression better than that. I stopped taking it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My younger SIL reads the side effects almost religiously. If she sees that there is a slight (I'm talking 1 out of a million) of death, she refuses to take it even if it will help her.

Personally, I am studying natural and herbal medicines to get my loved ones off many of the chemical bullsh*t they are on.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Have you ever researched how a drug comes to market and what the FDA's role is? The FDA is in bed w/big pharma; they're not the watchdog group they're hyped up to be and really do not have our best interests at hand.
    Anonymous

• sometimes you have to weigh the risks and the benefits and find out which outweighs which. sometimes you're better off taking the medicine, the risks of the "affliction" can be far more dangerous than the risks of the medication. blood pressure medicine for example..
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• They carefully word it as 'side effects *may include*' . . . Just because it gives a list of side effects it doesn't mean you will experience all or any of them. All it means is that some people have reported those side effects.

What I love is when there is a commercial on the TV or radio for a med and it lists some of the side effects and as they go down the list you hear the usual suspects and then BAM!  out of nowhere they list 'oily anal discharge'.   surprise mini

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Not everyone experiences side effects...it is just a warning that they can happen. If you trust your Doctor and know he will give you the best medication possible, try it...or ask him questions before he gives you the prescription...
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• YOu weight the risks and benefits. I have to take medication every day because I have arthritis. I have had it since my 20s and went as long as I could without medication until the pain got too much. I dont like the side effects but I take my medication so I can move. You have to remember there are people like me out there who might not have mobility without medication. There are also people with Bipolar disorder and what not who have to take medication everyday and the side effects sometimes suck on those. I imagine someone with high blood pressure and heart disease would also rather have side effects then die.

Answer by gemgem at 2:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't know. I hardly ever even take Tylenol, so it would be a hard sell to get me to take most of the drugs on the market.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• it depends on what is wrong w/ you..... sometimes you feel you don't have a choice, it's a quality of life or suffering thing.

I have cluster headaches and am allergic to Imitrex. However, it works well for my headaches! But it also causes crushing chest pains making me short of breath and mimicking a heart attack ( terrifying) Occasionally, though, I still find myself injecting Imitrex because the chest pains can be more tolerable than a 3 day headache.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011