Has Anyone made their own Baby food?

My baby is 6months old tomorrow. What kinds of homemade baby food can she have? What kind did you feed your baby?

staciepi

Asked by staciepi at 2:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did with all of my babies. But I never gave any baby food until after 12 months.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Make one ingredient veggies/fruit. Steam whatever food you decide to give them until very soft, then mash - you can add water, breastmilk or formula if you think it's too thick. I never put mine in a food processor, but I know a lot of people do. The "mushy" foods are easy to start with: avocado, sweet potato, squash, etc. Also - make sure there are no seeds! Don't add any salt/sugar. Once you've introduced single foods, you can start mixing some stuff. As time goes by, you can mash/puree less and less.

Answer by missanc at 2:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i use to love doing it. i use to do it all the time until life got so hectic. anyways, i had this thing called the baby cook. it was so much fun. i use to steam the foods and it was like a blender all in one. i use to do all sorts, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, broccoli, squash. just introduce one at a time. its really simple to make. what i had also was like a icecube tray and you freeze the food in the freezer and then put in ziplock bags. i have this book called super baby food also. that is how i got that idea but the food maker applicance had itsown icecube tray thing that i got for her baptism. and it came with ideas on food also. anyways, you can do he frozen food thing with regular icecube tray too because that is about the size they eat anyways. its so much fun.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 2:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I make stuff a few times a week for my DD it's enjoyable and plus you know what is in the food(we use organic fruits/veggies either frozen or fresh).And most of the recipes I use are from Annabel Karmel cookbooks but there is a ton of websites( Wholesomebaby.com)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I did for a few weeks, but turns out I didn't need to. She was BF so she didn't get baby food until she was like 7 or 8 months old - and even then it was to try and help with her reflux. After a few weeks of the baby food, she was eating table food.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 2:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I love my Magic bullet for that, I bought organic veggies and fruit. And blend it with formula or water. Green beans, bananas, apples, squash, sweet potatoes. As she got a little older I started adding meats.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 2:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My kids have never eaten from a jar. Get the Super Baby Food book. She also has a website. She gives the schedules on when to start what
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I gave my son all kinds of fruits and vegetables. I mixed some together and made new flavors :) His favorite was apples and bananas!
    When he got a little older (our dr told us not till a year) I gave him meat as well. Usually boiled chicken and mixed it with potatoes or corn :) Once you get the hang of it you'll have a lot of fun making new flavors for him to try :)
    tammy_lynne

Answer by tammy_lynne at 3:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I made all my son's baby food from organic fruits and vegetables. I didn't worry about meat until one year, when he was able to eat it (pureed meat not all kids like!). don't add anything but water if it needs. I made some and i would freeze it in little containers too. I did about every kind of fruit and veg. i think. he like avacados, and avacoado with peaches! try mixing some fruits WITH vegetables, kids like that too.

And yes, i got the Super Baby Food book too!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would buy frozen veggies and steam them. Then I would put them in a blender to mash them up more. I started out with carrots first. I introduced veggies at 6 months. I introduced fruit around 12 months. My son liked peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, strawberries, melons, watermelon, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011