Constipation? and help is great

Ok I am 10 weeks and I know that constipation is normal and everything but its been like 4 days and I still can't go to the bathroom and I am REALLY uncomfortable!. Do you know any tricks to make it go a little easier? Thanks for any help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Prenatals can constipate you if they have a really iron content. Ask if you can take one with a lower amount of iron. Also, eat more leafy greens which will help with iron more naturally, yet help keep you regular too. An apple a day...well, that saying earned it's rep for a reason. It helps.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 4:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Water water water, fiber, and don't strain. Sometimes letting it build up a little gives it the force it needs to come out (don't hold it in if you can let it out easily, though), but unnecessary straining can cause hemorrhoids.

Are you doubling up on your prenatal vitamins? That can cause constipation as well, so don't do it if you don't have to!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Taking Colace is just fine...that is on the advice of my doctor. Ditto what Sasha said...and be sure to drink LOTS of water (I have been told to drink 1 gallon per day). Congratulations!
    SassyJulie

Answer by SassyJulie at 4:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• lots of fruit and veggies!!!!! fiber (especially any of the fiber one products, though they don't really work like that for me, everybody else seems to have trouble if they eat more than 1 serving of them)
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 4:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• ooo...I had that issue with each pregnancy. I found drinking lots of water helped, and I also had a glass of metamucil every day too. I also noticed that after doing some sort of exercise like walking it helped to move things along ALOT!!!
    SuzL1026

Answer by SuzL1026 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• i was constipated in the beginning and have found that eating an apple everyday has kept it away so far. also, when i couldn't go (and i'd get horrible cramping) i'd take a couple of fiber pills and drink some water before i went to bed. in the morning, i was able to go and i felt a MILLION times better.
    archiemama

Answer by archiemama at 6:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• my doc recommended Miralax..i mixed it was red gatorade and i could hardly taste it...it almost totally tasteless..made the drink a little thicker...she told me to start with 1/2 a normal dose for 3 days..once a day...it worked! like a miracle...and its totally safe for im pretty sure all of your pregnancy! Most people say fiber but the way that works is by bulking up your poo with fluids, it pulls it from your body so you can end up with really bad hemorrhoids and dehydration...so beware...and ask your doc what they think is ok for you...
    MamaAnnie87

Answer by MamaAnnie87 at 1:09 AM on Nov. 13, 2008