Is it okay to take a boy to Disney Princesses on Ice?

My son loves Disney; he absolutely loves Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella. He also enjoys the more traditional boyish movies like Cars and WallE. He will be 3 in April and I saw a lovely advertisement for Disney Princesses on Ice. I told my DH that I think David would love to attend and my DH respond with a very prompt NO! I was a little surprised as we pride ourselves on being more forward thinking parents I don’t force masculinity my son and have even told him one time “he’ll be a good Daddy” when I saw him hug a girls baby doll at a park this summer. So I was wondering if you think I should pursue this issue further or drop it? I have already briefly brought it up twice and my husband can be stubborn once he thinks he has made up his mind. Also will it look ridiculous since he is our only child will it be just all girls? Thanks so much!

Sara

Group owner
Wives of Diabetics

Sarahedger

Asked by Sarahedger at 2:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't see why it would be a problem.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I wouldn't take my son (I would save my money for a different show), but if I took my daughter I wouldn't think it was weird for a parent to bring their son.

Answer by missanc at 2:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Oh my gosh, take him! There will be plenty of other boys there and the shows are not only geared toward girls. They bring out all of the different characters, including the "prince" for each princess! All of the goodies are expensive though so take plenty of cash!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• my husband is a big burly former truck driver and race car driver..... and his firstborn son does tap & ballet.

sounds like your house needs some progressive thinking and fast.

attending an ice show does not a homosexual make
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Its a great show and I think he may enjoy it! I say take him....if it makes ya feel better my little guy is 2 and loves babies, plastic high heels and makeup his sister puts on him and he absolutely loves runnign around in her sparkley shoes
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I took my dd's older half brother to disney princess on ice....my dd declined she just isnt that into it....he ended up bringing a friend who is also a boy and my niece....its not all geared towards girls....i would tell ur dh that its something fun for him to do...if u can afford it maybe take a niece or something like that if it makes him feel better
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• He would probably love it!!! Take him now while he is young enough to appreciate the art for what it is!!! Children don't really form a "masculine" feminine" identity until after they turn 6. Your husband might feel threatened by that, but he doesn't have to go. It's not just for girls..little boys like ice skating too! You never know it may become a very cherished memory for him...It doesn't hurt to expose your child to the arts...it helps them see the world in a different way...and enjoy it more!
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. They're characters. Nothing of that nature would sway him away from being masculin, nor would it send him straight into pure maculinity. It's just a bunch of disney characters dancing around on ice. Take him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2011