How long should naps be?

I have a 9 month old, he takes one nap (1.5hrs) a day and sleeps through the night (8-7am) but sometimes he just seems tired, and cranky, then I heard he should be sleeping 16-18 hrs a day that seems alot to me, but idk??? What do yall think?

ShaunsMomma04

Asked by ShaunsMomma04 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 6 month old sleeps 11 hours/night and then takes one 1 1/2 hour nap, and one 2 1/2 hour nap. But each child is different and has different sleep needs. When mine hit between 9-12 months they started going to bed at 7 pm and sleeping until 7 am. Have you tried putting him to bed a little earlier? Maybe he just needs another hour.
    btw - I always thought the 16-18 hours/day was for newborns.

Answer by missanc at 2:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think all babies are different but my 3 all did 2 naps a day at that age up at 7:30 down at about 930-11ish lunch and play down from 1-3 or 4 and down again by 8:30
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I might not have a 9 month old, but my son is 6 months old. Whenever he's tired I put him down for a nap. I don't regulate them. And I go by the saying, "Never wake a sleeping baby." I tried to regulate his naps, and he was always so cranky. Now, he's more content. I just try not to let him nap near his bedtime.
    mamaziller

Answer by mamaziller at 2:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• yeah, show me a baby that sleep 16-18 hours a day! hahaha!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My 5 month old sleeps close to 16. She does about 13 at night and 2 1-2 hour naps each day.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 2:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I always let my children take as long of naps as they wanted as long as it wasn't over 3 hours. My mom said she always did the same thing as well with my three sisters and I. I find that it helps them out a lot in getting the amount of sleep that they need.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Mine were taking 2 naps a day at that age so they did get close to the 16-18 hours. But if you can't get two naps out of him, you can't!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• All of mine were different with there naps. I let mine sleep when they wanted for as long as they wanted and they still slept all night. My youngest would sleep 16 to 18 hrs a day when he was new born, but he was a preemie. He would take at least 2 naps aday when he was that age. My daughter would sleep a 12 hr stretch when she was that age. She'd sleep all night get up with me in the morn, we'd get my oldest off to school, then she'd go back to sleep til it was almost time for my oldest to get home from school. All kids are different & have different sleep habits. Just let him sleep when he wants to.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 13, 2011