Dupnik cover-up! WHY protect the shooter and his family, but not county citizens?!

So, Sherriff Dupnik might want to lay low in the wake of some revealing information about prior knowledge being uncovered!!  You would THINK he would've kept himself out of the media spotlight at least until after things simmered down, but noooooo.....SOME people just can't refrain from an opportunity to display their knee-jerk reactions of intolerance and bias towards certain groups!

***

"Jared Loughner has been making death threats by phone to many people in Pima County including staff of Pima Community College, radio personalities and local bloggers. When Pima County Sheriff's Office was informed, his [Sheriff Dupnik's] deputies assured the victims that he was being well managed by the mental health system."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2655641/posts

Now, SOME of you may not like the fact that this information is still only circulating around the blogosphere and hasn't reached mainstream news outlets, but I suspect that it will soon enough!  I have no doubt that threats such as those mentioned above have all been recorded by police, and will come to light soon enough.  So take from it what you will, but I think Sherriff Dupnik ought to censor himself and slink back into that hole he crawled out of!!

And WHY won't the Pima County Sherriff's Department and college release what they ALREADY KNEW about the shooter?!

"The Pima County Sheriff's Department and Pima Community College have declined to release documents that could shed light on run-ins they had with 22-year-old Jared Loughner in the months prior to the shooting."

"The Arizona Public Records Law requires that records be "open to inspection by any person at all times" unless officials can prove releasing the information would violate rights of privacy or confidentiality or otherwise harm the best interests of the state."

"Pima Community College officials confirmed Saturday that they suspended Loughner after a series of outbursts in classrooms and the library, five of which involved campus police."

"On Monday, The Republic requested copies of any reports from the Pima County Sheriff's Department involving contacts with Loughner or calls to his house. Pima County Deputy Rene Carlson said her office would not release the reports without a specific date, though this is not required by state statute.

Carlson said providing these documents would be tantamount to releasing criminal history.

Carlson said she could not speculate on the nature of any calls for service regarding Loughner. She also said no calls or incidents involved threats made by Loughner.

The Republic also requested the names of the people wounded in Saturday's shooting. The Sheriff's Department has not released any names, although names of several victims have emerged in media reports. The Sheriff's Department did not provide a reason for withholding the list."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/01/12/20110112gabrielle-giffords-arizona-shooting-pima-county-wont-release-jared-loughner-records.html

Anyone else think county officials are in the process of "lawyering up?!" (my question!)

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 3:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Wall Street Journal

And Dupnik did change his story.  On Saturday it was that he wasn't aware of any threats and was only talking about info he learned after the arrest.  By Sunday he'd already admitted that they'd had previous contact, per  Reuters.

Famewhore hosed himself.  This kind of thing DOES happen all the time, and what he should've done is quietly admitted it to those who needed to know, stayed under the radar, and only answered questions that people needed to know.  Instead he grabbed that spotlight kicking and screaming and got his 15 minutes.  Option A would probably cost a lot less in the civil suits to come.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• And by that token, the Sheriff should not have said what he did. There was too much unknown at the time.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Even weirder, he's not now. I doubt the Congresswoman unsubscribed on her own.

http://current.com/117et4c
    http://current.com/technology/92911288_rep-giffords-youtube-channel-was-subscribed-to-loughners-youtube-channel.htm

one of these have a screen shot. I feel a conspiracy theory brewing, ladies...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Sarah Palin made him do it.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have already said that I think that the police records and reports of threats should be investigated to make sure that all procedures were followed, and if there were holes in the procedures then those need to be fixed so that going forth there are less chances of this type of tragedy happening. I guess I will wait to see how things unfold on this one. I think it's possible that everything that could have been done wasn't done, but a thorough investigation should show us where (if anywhere) things could or should have been done differently.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My husband just told me that the Congresswoman was following two people on her youtube chanel. Another Congress person and her shooter.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I saw this yesterday and thought wtf? Its another failure of the system I say. You know though it happens everywhere! I have called the police and dss on people displaying odd behavior, and kids who have made threats against other kids or parents and most of the time its met with indifference. Thankfully none of the problems I have reported have come to something like this, but it goes to show how easily it can happen. The sheriff needs to be held accountable for the indifference he showed. If he had done his job and arrested him even just for harassment or communicating threats none of this might have happened.

Answer by gemgem at 3:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I heard discussion this morning on the Hannity radio show on this sheriff. He has been in office about 35-40 years. The crime rate is high in his country which is next to Sheriff Arpaio & Maricopa county. He gave stats like you are 3 times for likely to be murdered in this county, 7 times more likely to be raped, muggings, robberies, drugs........they are all high.
    http://pimasheriff.org/prevention/crime-statistics/2010-statistics1/
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• AOL is reporting that records aren't being released due to the federal investigation. Could be the FBI got that first.

Having covered plenty of murder investigations, I do know that police and prosecutors prefer not to release information to the public until their cases are built. We've had that going on with the shooting of a police officer here; the prosecution refused to comment on what reporters had dug up.

• suspect?? what are the facts? Why are you jumping from one conclusion to the next when YOU criticized others for doing that?

***
    The FACT that there IS a paper trail of sorts generated by POLICE INQUIRIES made by a series of Pima County citizens!!! I'm not jumping to conclusions, like YOU did, within HOURS of the shootings!! I am pointing the finger of blame AT those who DID have prior knowledge about this murderer, and did NOTHING but EXCUSE his behavior!!! THAT is just plain irresponsible!!!

It came as no surprise that YOU, on the other hand, would jump on the "blame the TEA Party, Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck" bandwagon!
    LoriKeet

Comment by LoriKeet (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2011