Do you think that Nindento DS would be age appropriate for 4 year old?

I am thinking of getting my daughter one for Christmas, but am not sure. She has played one of her cousins a few times and seemed to love it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• It really depends on the child and how they treat their other toys. As for them playing it all the time - you can put restrictions on it - you're the momma!
    If your child respects her toys, then I don't see the harm. BUT - if she is one to constantly lose or damage her toys - I really don't recommend getting one. Trust me when I say it is a lot of money to spend only to have it broken or lost. Unless, of course you plan on keeping track of it at all times!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I think something like a V-Smile would be better
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 4:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• my cousin who is 4 is hooked on it he never wants to play out side or anything at all for that matter he just wants his ds

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 4:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Yeah, I think a V-Smile would be better at that age. Most (if any) four year olds can't read yet at the level that you need to play DS games. I think at least six would be better, once they've had a year of learning how to read and stuff. My boyfriend's nephew is six and goes everywhere with his DS.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• i would say a v smile or leap frog over ds. There are some games that require the use of the stylus pen just to work and even though they say are E for everyone may prove to be a bit difficult for a 4 year old to work correctly.....(gee I never have heard of buying a 150.00 hand held game for a 4 year old anyway....kids tear up things too easily anyway and if you drop it one good time or scratch the screen that is just money down the tubes)
    kimd143

Answer by kimd143 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• No video games for kids that age! Vsmile is junk and I really don't think the kids actually learn anything from the games, not to mention it turns kids into little video game addicts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• The only thing my 4 year old asked for for her birthday was a ds, so we got her one and she does just fine with it. We buy games that are age appropriate but still expect a little bit of frustration when she's trying to master a new skill on a game. No big deal. I chose to buy my daughter the ds instead of handheld games made for younger kids because I thought it would "grow" with her better. If you do buy one, make sure you buy a couple of extra styluses because they get misplaced easily. You can also buy a screen protector to keep it from getting scratched up.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I hate any of those gaming machines. I think kids get absorbed into them and stop interacting with people. Just my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Nov. 14, 2008