Did you know what blood libel referred to?

Several Jewish groups are criticizing Sarah Palin's use of the term "blood libel" in her video statement on the Arizona shootings. The phrase traditionally refers to false anti-Semitic myths about Jews using the blood of Christians, often children, in their rituals.

[Defining terms: What is "blood libel"?]

Abraham Foxman, who heads the Anti-Defamation League, said in a statement:

"It is unfortunate that the tragedy in Tucson continues to stimulate a political blame game. Rather than step back and reflect on the lessons to be learned from this tragedy, both parties have reverted to political partisanship and finger-pointing at a time when the American people are looking for leadership, not more vitriol. In response to this tragedy we need to rise above partisanship, incivility, heated rhetoric, and the business-as-usual approaches that are corroding our political system and tainting the atmosphere in Washington and across the country.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Do you know what I like about you sweet-a-kins? You have a following of haters here. You prove them wrong when they ask. When you do prove them wrong and they simply start calling you names....you do not back down. You still come here to debate and you handle yourself well. You and I have differing views on some things but you have certainly earned my respect.

Anonymous

• the only thought i have is that it is probably best to ignore the savage posts with this toxic rhetoric until the mania and animalistic left behavior cools off a bit.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I am not surprised me telling the OP she has gained my respect earned me a down vote.
    Anonymous

• Okay, first off, your source's complainants don't even agree on what the term means in present day.

one says, "While the term 'blood-libel' has become part of the English parlance to refer to someone being falsely accused, we wish that Palin had used another phrase, instead of one so fraught with pain in Jewish history."

and another, "The term 'blood libel' is not a synonym for 'false accusation.' It refers to a specific falsehood perpetuated by Christians about Jews for centuries, a falsehood that motivated a good deal of anti-Jewish violence and discrimination."

I doubt she knew the origins of the phrase. But then again, she opened her mouth, so someone somewhere's got to be upset, right? I'm not even a fan of the woman, but I'm sure tired of hearing of everything she does "wrong".
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I doubt she knew the origins of the phrase. But then again, she opened her mouth, so someone somewhere's got to be upset, right? I'm not even a fan of the woman, but I'm sure tired of hearing of everything she does "wrong".

clapping

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• But then again, she opened her mouth, so someone somewhere's got to be upset, right? I'm not even a fan of the woman, but I'm sure tired of hearing of everything she does "wrong".

That's the fun part - if it weren't for the people incessantly whining about her, we'd never hear about her. She should be paying them a cut of her PR budget.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i think "rhetoric" is the word of the week....

I agree anon, Sweet has some balls. There are people on here who are so rude to her, yet she still stands strong. She definitely has my respect! I voted you up...

I did not know where that term "blood libel" came from, thanks for the info. Very interesting.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• That's the fun part - if it weren't for the people incessantly whining about her, we'd never hear about her. She should be paying them a cut of her PR budget.

bump

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yes, I know it's history. So? Does that mean Sarah really IS responsible for the murders?

Honestly, I cannot believe the attention the Left gives this woman. She's a reality t.v. celebrity and little more, imo. But it's gets tired listening to the Left who hates her - or her speech writers?

I notice that you didn't mention anything about her use of the term in the earlier question, until articles started coming out about SOME jewish people (because others have said they aren't offended) being offended. Did it not bother you before the MSM started on about it?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011