What is Welfare?

like is foodstamps part of welfare??

How long can you be on Welfare??? What all do they pay for?? What qualifies you for it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• Call your county services center.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 3:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My understanding is welfare is money given monthly when you do not have any and maybe have kids. Food stamps is run by the federal govt I believe and is there to help supplement low income people and families who might not be able to buy all their food without help. Medicaid I think is state run?

Answer by gemgem at 3:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It is based on your income or lack of. Food stamps r welfare. U would have to ask the local welfare office.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I *think* it's called public assistance now. And the rules vary from state to state. However they will probably be based on your income, some of your expenses, and number of dependents.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Welfare is foodstamps, medicaid, housing, tanif, etc.

You have to meet the income guidelines. You can probably find them online. You may qualify for some and not qualify for others.

I don't know what the guidelines are but I'm assuming it's low and SADLY most states do not have a time limit on their programs!!
    Anonymous

• Welfare is food stamps, WIC, medicaid, housing, cash assistance, help pay for utilities bills. It has income guidelines and the money is paid through everyone's taxes, by the govt. Sadly, there are no limits of time. I wish there were though.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would call you counties human services department, they can get you set up with what you need, but be warned there is a lot of paperwork and wating time involved in it. There are restrictions to how much money you can bring in and still qualify.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011