How much pain can a person bear? Physically?

I'm just wondering how my hubby does keep up the good mood sometimes, because he's in pain 24/7. Lately it's been really bad and I wonder when the breaking point will come. And what happens then. Anybody have experience with long term painful conditions? I feel like there's "something in the air" ... or it's just me thinking negative. IDK

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Health

• it depends on the person and their will
    I have lived with chronic pain since Oct of 1987. I have learned some mind over matter techniques along with some daily natural remedies and techniques that work very well. Follow strict Dr's orders and stay healthy, that also works.
    Some people can handle pain very well for a lifetime and some cannot handle a day's worth. The question is really hard to answer because of so many variables with the causation of pain and the mindset of the individual. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 4:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My arm has been hurting constantly for over a month. I think I might need sugery. Anyway it hurt it either at the gym or work. I can't use it like I used to. I have a high threshhold of pain,but,I'm tired of dealing with it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I've been in chronic pain my whole life. I have a large cyst on my spine and with came the need for many surgeries (18 so far) and a lot of pain and restrictions. The key is not to let it define you. It fades into the background when it's the norm. Sometimes it's so bad I can barely think straight and I have to deal with it, I have to bide my time until I can will it into the background enough that it doesn't own me any more. May I ask what's wrong, why he's in pain? It can be a major mood effector, everyone handles it differently so I'm not sure what you can do for him besides sitting down and laying it all out. This is where we are, this is what is happening, this is how I feel, and then maybe you can work together to come up with THIS IS HOW WE ARE GOING TO MANAGE THIS, TO OWN THIS, TO MAKE THIS LIVEABLE.
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 3:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't have an answer but wanted to tell you that I'm sorry for you and your DH
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have been in chronic pain since my breast cancer surgeries yes I ened up having 2 surgeries. And 2 rounds of radiation which left a lot of scar tissue. Some days I can handle it and on other days I can't move. I can only lift 25 ILbs. and my graddaughter weighs more. I do what I have to live a normal life. It takes a lot of brain over pain thinking.
    deesam

Answer by deesam at 4:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I was hit by a car last year and since than have been in horrific pain that has changed my life. I was a RN and I cant work anymore and yes it can be very depressing and yes there is very little that
    I can do but I try to focus on what I can do. I actually taught myself to cook, it may take me several hours where
    I am sure others not so long but I try. I cant be sorry formyself forever. Pain is caused by something it doesnt come out of nowhere. He needs to find a good md and get a work up-labs,ct scans, mris. Meds dont fix it, he may need to go for physical therapy for some its as simple as that. It depends what is causing it and why did he just decide he is in pain because some people seek pain meds or are depressed, Each persons pain threshold is different from one to the next. My pain tolerence maybe higher than yours etc. Get him yto the md right away. If he wont go he cant help himself.
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2011