How do I potty train a 22mth old boy?

I keep a 22mth old boy and his 3 year old brother everyday 7:30am - 5-30pm. The 22mth old is interested in potty training since his older brother is now potty trained. The 22mth old has peed in the potty quite a few times. I don't feel I am doing it right. I started putting him in a pullup every morning and we would go to the bathroom almost every hour. Then when he would pee in his pull up i would change him into a diaper. I let him use the big potty and I have a potty book and kid books. What method will bring me sucess? I have heard that potty training can take up to 8 mth I don't won't to take that long so I would like to make sure I do everything just right to help the child understand the potty thing.
Thanks

1911

Asked by 1911 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We did the 3 day method, which was AWESOME! DS was 25 months, but it recommends doing it around 22 months. I can e-mail it to you if you PM me your email address. It's an ebook.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't think 22 months is to young to potty train both of my boys started around that time. I am not sure if you would want to do this. What we did was put a calendar in the bath room and every time they go potty we would give them a sticker. After "X" amount of stickers they would get to do something special like go for ice cream or I would make their favorite dinner. I think you are doing all the right things although if his parents aren't also working with him it might take a little longer.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Even though he shows interest, 22 months may still be too young; my oldest first showed interest at this age because he saw a playgroup buddy go in the potty but really wasn't ready until he was almost 3 yrs. old. Pull ups never worked for my kids (they treated them no differently than diapers so I wouldn't bother with those), nor did a kid potty seat or books. M & M's worked! My kids had never had candy up until that point so every time they went in the potty, they got 1 M&M. I never heard of it taking 8 months to train a child. It took 2 weeks with both of mine.
    Anonymous

• Are his parents doing this as well? If there isnt consistency between your house and home it probably wont work out too well for you. We only used pull ups for night time and used underwear during the day. Each child is different...my son trained in about 2 weeks...my daughter didnt care and it took about 6 months for her to be fully potty trained.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Thanks for leaving a comment.
    I do M&M's and I could definitely see the pull ups not work because technically they are a diaper. :)
    His 3yr old brother didn't ever show any interest in the potty. The 3yr is just now potty trained except he does not seem to want to poop in the potty. Any advise on that? We have tried everything and I mean everything.
    1911

Comment by 1911 (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Foxracing43701, How old was your son? And the child's parents know i have been doing the potty thing with him and whether they are doing it too who knows.
    1911

Comment by 1911 (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If you want anything to work the parents need to be doing the same thing. I watch a little girl and me and her mom had to work together to get her trained. It's hard on them when they have different caregivers... she was nearly 3, though. 22 months is awfully young. My son will be 22 months next week and he was/is on his way to PLing... but he was just hospitalized for 2 weeks and couldn't get up to use the potty. He also led everything on his own... I still expect it to take another 6 months at least for him to be fully trained. The younger you start, the longer it takes. I'm okay with doing it casually, I have no expectations of him training anytime soon... so everytime he goes on the potty is just one less diaper to change, IMO.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My older son wanted to be naked at 15 months so his "bribe" was just that. You pee in the potty you can be naked at home. That was it. Now my younger son is now 2, likes the potty well enough but unless he is naked doesn't care enough to go. We have tried all the same stuff. We don't use pull-ups except at night. We give treats for going potty. I think Its just when they finally feel like it. Its really the only thing they can control in their little lives
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 4:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Thanks! The 22mth old wants to pick and choose when he wants to potty and I don't want it to be a battle. I try to make a routine but when he starts saying no I back off.
    1911

Comment by 1911 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2011