How do you get a 7 month old to sleep through the night??

He has slept through the night since he was 4 months old and then last week he started waking up two or three times a night and screaming like he's in pain. We have been to the doctor and he did have bronchitis but is much better now. He is still waking up at least once a night and crying, not like he's hurting anymore but more of the I want to be held cry. DH is getting tired of him being up every night, he goes to work at 5am and would like to sleep all night. I don't mind getting up and holding him but then he will only sleep with me holding him and if I try to lay him back down he will just cry the rest of the night. I need to be getting some sleep at night too, there are 4 other kids in the house that need me during the day too!!

niehoff9

Asked by niehoff9 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 7 months is young to sleep through the night. My kids were all over 1 year. I don't know, good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My son did that, and against my mother-in-laws wishes, I started letting him cry himself to sleep. If he cries longer than an hour than I check his diaper. If I know he's not hungry, I continue to let him cry. He might just be too used to being held after he was sick. Anyway, u don't have to follow my advice. I'm just saying what I finally had to do with my 6 month old. Just let him cry if u know he's been fed and changed.
    mamaziller

Answer by mamaziller at 3:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• There isn't much you can do to make him sleep through the night. All you can do is keep trying to get him to lay down on his own after you get him back to sleep. You can hold him in his crib with your hands and slowly take one hand away at a time, it works for dd sometimes.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• sometimes when something happens, like getting sick, it knocks them off their normal routine...just try to be consistant and patient he should fall back into it eventually. Is he hungry when he wakes up? he could be going through a growth spurt and waking to eat..If you arent already I would offer him a feeding to see if that satisfies him. good luck momma!
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• its just a phase,he'll be back to his routine soon
    Anonymous

• He probably still isn't breathing normally if he is recovering from bronchitis. I do think you are asking a lot of a 7 month old. Neither of my kids slept through the night consistently until they were 16 months old. There is no way I would start feeding him again at this age during the night. That would just set up a terrible cycle. Just reassure him, make sure he is breathing well and lay him back down.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• This is also prime separation anxiety time. Getting over an illness plus separation anxiety can make for worse sleeping (though, waking once a night is fantastic, IMO/E). If he will only sleep when you hold him, then bring him back to your bed and go to sleep. DH shouldn't have to get up with him if he works so early and you don't need to miss out on sleep either... it's win-win-win.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Getting him on a routine at night time
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My son does that too. Have you checked to see if he's cutting teeth? That's what my little one is doing.
    angelmommy2806

Answer by angelmommy2806 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I can't imagine a 7 mo old sleeping through the night! My LO didn't start sleeping through the night until 17 mo! You may have to keep doing what you are doing, comforting him and helping him calm back down. Just remember, it may be tiring, but in the long run, it's a very short amount of time before he is back to his normal routine. In my case, I got sleep because we used to bed-share while he was nursing. Nursing allowed him to calm down if he awakened scared, stressed, or in pain and it allowed me to sleep and tend to him without getting up. Whatever you do, don't leave him to cry - it'll make him more stressed and can cause problems with his development.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011