Have you read John Kerry's speech?

It's worth a read for everyone.

There is enough bickering and fighting going on, from both sides, and it needs to end. It's time to put away the differences and get some work accomplished. 

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 3:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• since I really despise John Kerry I'll pass.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• only listening to the side that agrees with you

interesting philosphy for life

I'll take a gander at Kerry's speech.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:39 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Sorry, I got as far as seeing that this article is work of Ezra Klein founder of Journolist!

Secondly, I just have to laugh at guilty, mudslinging, politicians calling for BOTH sides to simmer down the violent rhetoric!!

And what's with this "we," kemosabe?!  LOL

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My initial response before reading:
    "Frankly, it's the speech President Obama should be giving. "
    Dear Mr. President, when the guy who lost to Bush is making more sense than you, you're in trouble.

And after:
    Good idea, implausible execution. I won't split hairs over some of the inaccuracies, he is still a politician, after all. But I think he suffers the same problem as people who think the 50's were a golden era where everyone was happily married, women were happy housewives, etc etc. That civil discourse he's so nostalgic for was still filled with under table deals and backstage manipulation, it just wasn't caught out and shown on tv 24/7. The VP may have used the f bomb, but the mics weren't strong enough to pick it up and media wouldn't rebroadcast it on the hour.

To get the atmosphere he wants would mean stifling the press, for better or worse.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• The fact is – our strength at home determines our strength in the world. And other countries are constantly taking our measure, sizing us up, watching our politics, measuring our gridlock.

EXCELLENT SPEECH

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Daniel Patrick Moynihan was a New York liberal. Alan Simpson was a Wyoming conservative. But they could sit down and talk and debate and disagree about deficits, debts, and entitlements and somehow someway they could shape a way forward. And they did it in a way that enlisted liberals like Bill Bradley, moderates like Jack Heinz, and conservatives like John Danforth because they knew that certain issues were just too important to be lost in partisan squabbling.

And you couldn't find three more proudly partisan and ideologically distinct politicians than Ronald Reagan, Tip O’Neill, and Bob Dole. But they found a way to put politics aside and save Social Security for a generation rather than saving it for misuse as a cudgel in the next campaign. They didn't capitulate - they compromised.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Thanks for sharing.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Transcript of interest, from Talk of The Nation on Jan. 5:

BOB MICHEL (Former House Minority Leader, R. IL): Well, how could I - today or in my day, people were just much more a considerate comity and considerate of others views. And, yes, we had our bitter arguments on the floor in House. I know Tip O'Neil and I would say, sometime after that, we'd go at it, hammer and thongs, verbally. Never - always on the subject, never personally. And then, after the day was over, well, we could go back to one another's office and have a pop, an old beer or something, play some gin rummy. But there was just a completely different attitude among the members than there has been in the last few years.

NEIL CONAN (Host): These days, you would be accused of hobnobbing with the enemy.

Mr. MICHEL: Excuse me?

CONAN: You would have been accused of hobnobbing with the enemy these days.

Mr. MICHEL: Oh, well yes, you're right.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'll read it. Anything is gonna be better than Palin's pathetic attempt to console the nation.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• "Frankly, it's the speech President Obama should be giving. "

I read that Obama was making a speech at the memorial services. Not sure if they are being held today or tomorrow.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011