Why do people call Ferrets rats?

I saw a post where supposedly a pet ferret got into a baby's crib and chewed off 7 fingers...come on!!! really? Someone mentioned or posted that they're nasty rats...and they should be outlawed. Ok, first of all, they are not rats. They are weasels, in the same family w/ badgers, and weasels, otters and skunks. They can be a lot of fun, sweet, and social, but I hadn't heard of one chewing anyone's baby's fingers off....must not be feeding the poor thing...Ferrets have fangs, and are carniverous, but normally they eat cat food dry food, not human beings...not meat, not things like that. My suggestion if you have ferrets is to keep them in a cage, but let them out every now and then for excercise...make sure you socialize them, and make sure they are fed, and given clean water every day...and clean out their cage at least once a week for God's sake...if you mistreat an animal it's not going to be a sweet pet, it will be a survivalist...period.

UPDATE : Here is the Article...I just don't understand this...

GRAIN VALLEY, MO (CNN) - A family pet ferret chewed off an infant's fingers, leaving the child with just two thumbs and a pinky in a home in Missouri. Police and firefighters responded to a phone call about an animal biting a baby, but when they arrived Grain valley Police Chief Aaron Ambrose said it was much worse. "Upon further investigating, they learned that the infant's fingers had been taken off by the family's pet ferret," Ambrose said. According to the police report, the baby was in a rocker and the parents fell asleep, one in the bedroom, the other in the same room where the attack occurred. Sharon Cannon, the director of the Kansas City Ferret Hotline, said the news shocked her. "I was devastated for the baby. I was devastated for the ferret. I was just, I was shocked, quite honestly. Because that is not normal ferret behavior," Cannon said. Officials said the baby's father killed the ferret after the attack and the body is being tested for disease. Copyright 2011 CNN. All rights reserved.

TeenerBeener75

Asked by TeenerBeener75 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Pets

• It all boils down to people not caring for their pets appropriately and not fully understanding the pet before they get them. I find it odd that a situation like that would occur since I've never met an aggressive ferret, but I suppose it's possible. You'd think the baby would wake up and be screaming long before the ferret could get all the fingers off. The report almost sounds like a tabloid article, but I digress.

I do want to add one thing though. Ferrets should not eat cat food. While cat food is relatively high in protein which ferrets need, it isn't high enough. The levels of fats and carbs in feline diets aren't appropriate for ferrets either. The best diet for a ferret is one specifically formulated for ferrets and their individual nutritional needs.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 10:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Agreed.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We used to have a ferret, that was our first pet together!!! She was the sweetest, funniest thing. I miss her :(
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't think outside of the idiots on CM you'd find people calling ferrets "rats."
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have more than a few...and I enjoy them so much, but I see ads all the time in the paper of people giving them away or trying to sell them after only having them a few months. It gets on my nerves that people dont' research pets before they buy them...:(
    TeenerBeener75

Comment by TeenerBeener75 (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Too right, and really, NO pet should be left alone with an infant or small child.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 3:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Sadly I've had several friends who have called them rats, lol...I always correct them
    TeenerBeener75

Comment by TeenerBeener75 (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Don't get me wrong I love ferrets and I actually had one when I was younger but it doesn't matter how socialized or if you think they're well trained if they get the chance they will chew on a baby. They are attracted to the smell of milk on a baby whether it's on their hands or mouth they will go for it given the chance. I think ferrets can be wonderful pets for houses with older children but not for households with babies. Better safe than sorry.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 3:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• P.S. I wouldn't call them rats.
    Bugzmomma

• Bugzmomma....thanks...I guess I never thought of it that way. We had a few when we had a baby, and we never had a problem with them trying to bite her. We would let them sniff at her, when they were running around, but of course we always kept an eye out, and would not let them just run free range around the house.
    TeenerBeener75

Comment by TeenerBeener75 (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2011