Walking the weight off - UPDATE!

I would like to ideally lose the 12 pounds I have slowly gained over the past 9 years. I am a stay at home mom so would love it if I could have some input about what I can do from home; preferable brisk walking. I also have some hand weights as I would like to tone my upper arms a bit and would like to target toning in the thighs and tummy areas.
Any suggestions and/or sites that you can offer for me to look into would be appreciated as I'd love to start some sort of regimen soon. A gym membership is out of the question right now as we are trying to budget.

Well, I started brick walking today....went out for 20 minutes and will work up to about 40 minutes to an hour within a week or two.  I found a great site through Family Circle magazine - 'Walk off the weight'  There are some great recipes, exercise tips, and a plan to follow each week to work up to an ideal brisk walking schedule.  I am very excited!  I joined a gym last year but with 2 m/c in 8 months, I didn't get back there and decided that walking was manageable and I can do it at my own pace depending upon how I feel and yet, I still get some fresh air and exercise.  Thanks for all the tips and sites that you have recommended.  i will still refer to these as well when I need to 'shake it up' a bit :)

miraclewaits

Asked by miraclewaits at 3:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• do you have netflix? i do the workouts on that. there is a great video called total workout kickboxing and that toned my legs/thighs and arms and even tummy.

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Have you thought about work out videos? I'd highly recommend anything by Jillian Michaels. I love the 30 Day Shred (it seems to be very popular). It's short, and it kicks your butt! DS does it with me!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Whatever you do, start slowly and build up to 30 minutes a day. Last April I decided to start walking daily. I walked 30 to 45 minutes every day. I lost 8 lbs. in 2 months. Then I tore a tendon in my foot. I am still recovering from that injury and have gained the weight back. The doctor chewed me out for not starting out slowly. Start with 10 minutes a day for a week and build to 15 for a week, etc...
    Use the hand weights and pump your arms. This will get your heart rate up nicely. Good luck! As soon as my foot is better I am going to start walking again, but I'll start slowly this time.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• try Sparkpeople.com. It's free to use, offers nutrition and exercise tips and tracking tools, and there are lots of users so you can get emotional support from other people just like you.

You can even add me as a friend there if you want. My username there is killashandraree.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 3:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• You can take your baby for brisk walks with you, start slow and increase distance as you go, you must be consistent and work up to at least 6 miles a day for weight loss, for your arms, just google the muscle you want to work out and you will get tons of exercises for them, good luck, 12 pounds should be a breeze!

Answer by older at 3:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I really disagree about 6 miles a day. I didn't walk that much and I lost weight steadily.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Marwill, it is a lot harder when you have a little weight to get off. This is not coming from me but from fitness experts....

Answer by older at 4:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I lost weight by walking every day. I started with 20 mins a day with DD in a stroller. Eventually went up to 40 min walks. I lost 15 lbs in 2 and a half months
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Walking is a great way to lose weight and tone your legs, butt, arms and tummy. Good luck.
    deesam

Answer by deesam at 4:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Wii Fit is a great use for cardio, toneing, and strengthening. It's really worth the money.
    You can walk up and down stairs, use a treadmill, take long walks, take a job, do aerobics. Anything of that nature is cardio.
    Pilates and Yoga (also great with weights) is great to help strengthen and tone.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011