How much money do u think u spend every month for ur children? Does it shock u?

I did the math, and I was shocked how much I spend per month for my 6 month old son. I spend a little over $400/month! Luckily, I'm finding ways to cut it down; using coupons, finding deals, going to separate stores just to save more money....lol....

mamaziller

Asked by mamaziller at 3:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have raised three and if if I hadn't I would be a multi millionaire!

Answer by older at 3:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• LOL Children are expensive.. And they get more expensive the older they get in many ways.

Let's put it this way.. Counting college tuition, books, lab fees, housing cost, etc.. I spend a couple thousand a month on my son.. Luckily it is all coming out of college savings that we have been putting away for nearly 20 years now.. lol If it weren't for that, those things would not be being paid for by us (my husband/myself)... lol
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• there's only a few things i buy for him that are just for him like wipes, snacks, and the occasional toy. he's not in child care so i don't have to worry about that. a lot of his clothes are handmedowns and i buy shoes if they are on sale or if he really needs them. he's a pretty easy going kid.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have never really thought about it. I don't spend money on them all the time just when they need things. I mean I buy food for them and pay the mortgage on the house so they have a roof over their heads, I don't consider those things just for my kids. As far as extra stuff they do, like sports that is usually a one time payment when the season starts and then I usually pay more in those months because I have 3 children.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Oh yeah and it doesnt become cheaper any time soon
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i dont overspend, we are so tight on money as it is i cant really afford to. clothes get handed down along with toys. we budget and use coupons for groceries. we dont splurge except for maybe the 2nd week of the month when our bills are paid, i might buy a few extra goodies for the children to snack on. most of the money is either saved or goes to bills.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We have a structured budget that we adhere pretty closely to. We aren't very materialistic, so we don't spend a lot on "stuff." I'm not shocked by what we spend. I didn't have children so I could be shocked or worried about money all the time. ;o) I figure if we didn't have any children, we'd spend that money elsewhere anyway. Maybe we'd spoil nieces and nephews more. Maybe we'd give even more to humanitarian organizations. Sure, we'd save more too. But it's just money, afterall.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Well, the baby is on formula and wears diapers. We only buy store brand so it's about $80 for formula and $40 in diapers. Other than that we don't spend anything extra on our kids in a month. There is just groceries and we don't keep a separate running total for their food. We only buy them clothes when they need them (when they tear up what they have or outgrow it), don't throw big fancy parties for birthdays, don't buy them random toys (only on birthdays and Christmas). They aren't involved in activities, etc. There are no extra monthly expenses, just once in awhile ones (like when I had to get them all new jeans because they had outgrown or destroyed every pair they had...went to Goodwill and got them 2-3 pair each for $5 a pair, spent $55 for 3 kids and got 8 pair of jeans and a little teddy for the baby).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Wow 400 on a 6 month old?

I think at 6 months I spent 40 dollars a month on diapers, 20 a month on baby food and maybe an extra 20 on the occational new outfit or medicine.

I breastfed and was a SAHM so I know if my situation was different I would have had to spend more.

If you devide my grocery bill by 4 then that's 80 dollars per kid a month for food, 115 a month per child for MDO so I can go to school, 40 bucks on diapers, 20 bucks on night time pull ups, 12 dollars on wipes, and probably another 40-60 dollars in occational co-pays, medications, socks, etc.

SO I guess that comes to 522 dollars a month for both children.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I did that calculation before I did coupons and such, awhile back. I spend $38/month on formula, $40/month on diapers, $30/month on baby food and juice. I cut it down so much my hubby n i get to do a lot more. I found some great deals on big packs of diapers and formula at Babies'R'Us. I am by no means extravagent with my spending! My hubby would not allow that bc he's cheap.
    mamaziller

Comment by mamaziller (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2011