Why Don't People Understand Evolution?

I have seen this so often that I have a red spot on my forehead from smacking it at the willful stupidity or blind ignorance of some. 

What is our education system teaching our kids?? Holy Hell! I cannot believe there are people who can't even understand the DEFINITION of the word!!! 

From Wikipedia
Evolution (also known as biologicalgenetic or organic evolution) is the change in the inherited traits of a population organisms through successive generations. Over time variants with particular heritable traits become more, or less, common. A trait is a particular characteristic -- anatomical biochemical or behavioral -- that is the result of gene-environment interaction. 

From Miram-Webster
a : a process of change in a certain directionunfolding
b : the action or an instance of forming and giving something offemission 
c (1) : a process of continuous change from a lower, simpler, or worse to a higher, more complex, or better stategrowth 
(2) : a process of gradual and relatively peaceful social, political, and economic advance

Why is it so hard to understand this??? Do people willing put on blinders and want to remain ignorant? Do they blindly believe what people behind a man made wooden pulpit tell them about evolution???

I know this is a rant, but damn!! I just don't understand why it is so hard to understand??

I also don't understand why some find it so hard to believe that God and Evolution CAN go hand in hand!! Oh, wait, I forgot! It isn't in the Bible so it must not be true! (slap on the forehead ... ouch, it's getting redder

Okay rant over ... Pretty sure there are questions in the rant, but just in case ... why do YOU think people WILLFULLY misunderstand what evolution is? 

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 3:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Beeky hit the nail on the head.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Take a deep breath.  HOLD ......and let it out slowly.  Better now? LOL.

There are two reasons why some people don't understand evolution.  Either they are unable to or they don't want to.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• They just don't want to accept it. Evolution itself is a FACT. There's no dispute about that in science. We've seen it happen--both in nature and in labs. The Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection is accepted by most as the best explanation of how evolution occurs. People try to dismiss it as 'just a theory' not understanding that a THEORY is really the highest you get when it comes to science, it's not like the use of the word theory in layman's terms at all. A theory is not guess, it's a well supported, well documented explanation of observations. Laws describe, and theories explain. They are not hierarchical or interchangeable.

People tend to say stuff like I can't believe we're descended from monkeys or apes. It's NOT that we're descended from them, it's that we share a COMMON ANCESTOR when you go back far enough. And actually, we are primates, and therefore a type of 'ape' anyway.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Hey, the directions for operating my toaster oven aren't in the bible, either. Does that mean they aren't true?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• What gets me fired up is when people claim Evolution is a religious view being forced on their kids in public schools. It is in no way a religious view, and can remain completely separate from religion. It is a scientific explanation of our natural world. That is all.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• even though evolution cannot be proven?

Which part of a scientific theory is a collection of facts did you not get?

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Sadly answered your own question when you said "it isn't in the bible"... That's why I think many dismiss the word..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• *hands spirited some mead* someone get that woman a Snuggie, stat

More deep breaths. And count to ten, or maybe 158.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think it is because they choose to believe the Bible and it's 'creationism' story instead of the scientific (and proven) Evolution.
    Anonymous

• I think it is possible to believe in Evolution and God. The bible is a series of stories , not necessarily actual history, but if you try to view the Bible as absolute truth (Adam and Eve,forexample) that is when you will have to close your mind and ignore the facts about Evolution.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2011