how can i get my daughter to start wearing a training bra?

she will be 9 next month so i can understand how she feels embarased to wear one but she is very clearly developing and needs to start wearing one. I baught her a couple and she just cries if i ask her to wear one with a shirt that you can especcially see her development. should i drop the issue for now or does anyone have any good ideas on how to get her to wear one?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 4:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Maybe start with a light spagetti srtap shirt under her clothes and move on to training bras in a few months
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• maybe have her go with you to pick one out that she likes??
    MrsDuff

Answer by MrsDuff at 4:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• MY almost 9 y/o dau begged for one- so I took her shopping for them. Before that I bought her some spaghetti strap undershirts to wear instead. You may want to start there. Maybe she feels a bit self conscience of it if she is the only girl in her class developing. Good luck.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Does she have friends? Ask their moms to go out with them and buy some bra together. If she is the only one wearing she will be embarrassed. But if you can find some of her friends who will wear than she will be ok with it as well. I would take her to shop and let her choose some she likes. I would buy some books about puberty where they explain what is going on with her body. And that it is not unusual. She is embarrassed because she doesn't know anything about what is going on with her body. There are some really good books on the internet. Hugs and good luck:) Anyway if she doesn't want to wear a bra than buy her vests. I wouldn't give a 9-year-old a bra. I would buy some nice vest and make her wear that. I am sure she will be happier with those:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 4:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would make it a mom-daughter date and goo to lunch, then shopping for a bra at a nice boutique with professional sales ladies that can encourage her to wear a nice bra (she picks) and explain to her that all girls will wear one eventually. She can first start wearing it under a shirt and little sweater or something (layers) so she gets used to the bra.

Good luck Mom!
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My little girl was trying to get away without wearing one some days, even though I'd explained that she needed it, or at least an undershirt. She wasn't willful about it. I just think she forgot some days or didn't want to and thought it would be okay. Then one day her dad said (very gently, mind you) "____________, are you wearing your trainer, sweetie?" She was so embarrassed! It really meant something to her coming from her dad. She hasn't forgotten since then. We did explain to her that night that she didn't have to wear one when it's just us hanging out at home, but that if we have company or we're out somewhere, or she's at school, she really needs to wear one. We explained that it is a way of being modest and helps to protect her from the wrong kind of attention.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would take her shopping and talk to her about it. I think if she is involved with buying them and picking them out she might like it better. I know that is what I did with my DD. Another thing might be to try the cami's that have the support in them. She might like wearing those better. Also I would get her a book about her body and how it is changing. 9 is early and if none of her friends are changing she might be embarrassed.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Maybe drop it for a while. Just make sure her shirts are a little big so they hide it well. She's probably embarrassed.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Drop it. She doesn't NEED a bra; nothing bad will happen if she doesn't wear one. Let her decide when she wants one.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• my 9 yr old prefers to wear a tank with a shelf bra inside... justice has some very cute ones.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011