only child

Just curious. For you mom's that only have or want one kid. Will you not regret it if something happens to that one child? My grandmother in law has outlived both of her children, now wishing she would have had another child. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• So what,the other one(s) are replacements for lost kids??

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• No.. I sat here a moment and pondered before I started typing. I honestly can not think of a reason why I would regret not having another child.. Possibly regret things I did not get to do with my son.. maybe... Regret the things I would not get to experience with my son.. Maybe. That type of thing, yeah I can see me possibly having regrets in those areas..

However, regret not having another child.. I can't think of a single reason for that one..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have an only and he WILL be our only. Mostly because of financial reasons, we would like him to be set up better for his future and if we had another, that would make both children have nothing to set up for their future financially. That said, I thought i would have been better at handling chaos than I turned out to be and I can only come up with reasons to have my ONLY child.. I find less and less reasons to have another.. but wishing I had more incase something happens.. no, I don't think that way
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Honestly, I wanted more than one child all my life. I wanted 3 or 4, but really at least 2. I wanted my son to have a sibling, a buddy to grow up with. I had 3 sisters to grow up with. My ex-husband had 4 brothers and sisters. We agreed on 4 child names before we married.

I lost my first pregnancy but have my 5 year old now. I would beg my ex for another child and got every excuse in the book why would couldn't have another. Only after living through all the crap and I had enough of it and told him I wanted a divorce did he get baby fever and start telling me he wanted a baby.

Yes, I think that it will be terrible to outlive my child - I never, EVER want that to happen. I just wish he had another sibling to lean on when things are tough in his life and I'm not around anymore. Makes me very sad actually.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 4:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I can understand that if you loose a child, the fact that you have another child is a comfort. Kinda gives you are reason to keep living. However I don't think that just in case your child dies is enough of a good reason to have another
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have no regrets in having one child. I am not sure how having more kids would lessen the loss one would feel if their child died. Seems like a silly thing to post about.lol
    Anonymous

• Really? I have no regrets with having only one child. Children are not puppies. If I lost my son, i would be devastated. I would still be devastated if I had 2 or more children. My reason for living? Of course, would be my husband. We would get through it together. We would preserve our son's memory and find strength in each other.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have only one son and I am really glad that I have only one kid. There is a chance that he could have been a spoiled brat but i didn't spoil him with things only love. I am the youngest of 3 and my son is the first grandchild. On my son's fathers side there is family history of autism, down syndrome, and a kind of skin disease so I kind of got scared of having more kids with him but I never told him that but we ended up mutually agreeing to separate anyway. I feel so lucky and glad that I have a smart healthy child and I really can't say for sure but I don't think I would want anymore children. I think I did everything right with him and we are so close.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 5:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011