single moms...give me some tips

I am a single mom and i have one dd, she is 22months. i work, go to school and rent a house. how do you make the time for everything. i getting overwlmed. i only work part time but when i am not at work i am studying or i am cleaning the house or with her doing something. then there is loundry, foodshopping, cleaning the floors, the bathroom. ect. any tips on how i can plan a little better. i start back to school next week.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 4:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I make to do lists, a lot of them
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Try to set a sched for yourself. Do a certain chore or errand on certain days. By spreading it out, maybe you wont feel so overwhelmed. And if you dont get to it- dont worry it's still waiting for you! (It always will be whether you're single or not) I've been there & if not for my mom, I would've lost my mind a few times I'm sure. It's hard doing it all on your own. I just hope you have a good realiable support system to give you a break from time to time. Good luck! *HUGS*
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• oh i do. i have my parents 5mins away i just have to look at the house as a job. have to do my job or else i wont get paid meaning a nice a organized house is my pay check
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Don't expect everything to be perfect. There is no way you will have a spotless house. Accept it and don't be so hard on yourself.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I made a list of simple dinners so I didnt have to rack my brain to make a menu. I could just pick so many things off the list and write a grocery list. Don't stress about everything being perfect. Clean out as much clutter as you can and live simply. I got a hamper that has dividers so when I pick laundry up off the floor (lets be real here lol) I sort it into the hamper. wehn one divider gets full I do that load. I try to do al load almost every day. Get a planner so you can always have your calendar and shopping list on you. Write down stuff as you run out so you only go to the store once a week. I wash my face and then while Im brushing my teeth I always use wash rag to wipe down bathroom with other hand and I put away all my makeup and stuff so I wake up to a tidy bathroom everyday. Get everything ready for the next day the night before. Makes mornings much easier!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I make a to do list every night. This is all the important thing I need or must do for that day. The things you know you have to do like cook, dishes, ect.... They don't need to be on the list find the time to shop for food. List I buy for a week or two or for a few days. This helps out a lot. Know what you want to get before you get there. My a list for this also because it will help you get in and out faster. List are my best friend I learned this from my Dad. He did this all my life if he need us to do something he left a note and list. Hope I helped good luck...
    LADYA1983

Answer by LADYA1983 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Lifes too short to have everything perfect and done. If your child wants to play then screw house work and love your baby. In 10 years you will remember playing hide and seek more than you will remember the pile of laundry.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Thanks ladies. i understand nothing can be perfect but its alot. i went from an apartment and just taking care of myself. to taking care of myself and another person plus a house. alot of things to think about and plus going back to school is not easy with a child. i am hanging in there. i try to do the list but then i lose it. i have a planner all the time. i have to just be more diligent on using it. one thing at a time. simply is a good idea. oh the loundry divider is great. i want one of those.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My mom did the same thing as a single parent. She kept lists of everything and scheduled "me time" into her day. Weather it was just having an hour after work to go for a run or locking her bedroom door and reading and bit, she did it. She needed that to stay sane with the 3 of us.

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 8:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2011