Is it bad to spoil you're dog with treats?

My dog is a pretty big dog who is really active and I give him treats everyday and he doesn't beg for them of anything and he isn't in the least overweight. All muscle. He's always hungry so I thought giving him some treats wouldn't hurt but I saw on the back of the package it said not to give too many because it might cause unhealthy weight gain. idk. didn't seem to hurt all this time. thoughts or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Pets

• Treats are great for training tools, but they can cause some problems. In my experience, most dogs that get lavished with treats end up overweight. It adds up over time and while your dog may be in great condition now, just like us, the pounds can creep up. More importantly, your dog should never get more than 10% of their daily caloric intake in treats. The reason is because treats are not balanced with the correct amounts and ratios of nutrients that dogs need. If you over do it on treats, you can end up throwing off the balance of the regular diet which can lead to poor health as your dog ages. If you really enjoy giving your dog a lot of treats and find yourself giving more than 10% of their recommended calorie intake, try using some of your dog's food as treats instead - just subtract it from your regular measured amount. - I'm a pet nutrition consultant, PM me if you have more questions about this!
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 10:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Just keep an eye on his weight. As long as he's at a healthy weight I say use the treats to teach him some new tricks- so he can earn a few. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I only use treats for training, and the odd few dog biscuits here and there for him. Use the treats to teach him new tricks...try Kyra Sundance's 51 puppy tricks...that's pretty good and easy to follow! Make him earn his treats and he'll enjoy them even more and you'll get stuff out of it too.

Is he checked regularly by a vet? I think they reccomend no more than 7 treats a day here, but we buy the smaller training treats or rip up cooked chicken for him. He goes crazy for chicken.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 5:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I see nothing wrong with giving your pet treats.If he's not over weight or gaining more than keep treating him.I think the company puts the warning labels on their packages to forewarn people.
    alisha34886

Answer by alisha34886 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i give my dog treats all day long-LOL! yes, she is a little chubby but, she is happy:)
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'd say, as long as your dog isn't becoming overweight, it is fine. I would also read the package and make sure you don't give more than the recommended daily serving.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We only give our dog treats as rewards, for tricks or for going potty. He now knows when he does good things he will be rewarded.
    nikkitorres

Answer by nikkitorres at 11:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• you should not give them too many or then they will not eat their food!@
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 10:13 AM on Jan. 13, 2011