Did you get the downs syndrome test done?

I am 6 weeks and went in today for my first visit. They wanted to know if I wanted to do the testing for downs syndrome and I am unsure. I will be 34 when the baby is due. They would do the test at 12 weeks and they measure the back of the babies neck to see and I think they do some urine or bloodwork. I do not have maternity coverage and they are going to let me know the costs but I just don't know if it would be worth it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes do it, Its better to just set your mind at ease. However, If you feel you are younger and don't have a genetic risk in your family than I would say pass on the test.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 4:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• K missed that you are 34, I say yes get the test done. If you don't id be prepared for that kind of scenario not saying that your baby will be downs, you just never know.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 4:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I chose not to- at this point, what would you do if it was positive but stress, also I have actually personally known people where it was wrong.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I chose to have it done during my last pregnancy, even though I was not "at-risk". The test came back positive but it turned out that I just wasn't as far along as they thought I was, so the test was performed too soon. We opted out this time around, because we didn't want the stress associated with it. The positive result certainly gave us a lot to think about though.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i got it done with my first two pregnancies, only because i didn't know better. i was ill-informed that the test is optional. i was also uneducated with the fact that the test is really only there to help you decide if you want to keep a baby with a birth defect. and also, alot of time false positives arise, and a lot of those times the baby is 100%healthy. they told me my 2nd might have CF, and she did not.

the test is really only necessary if you care whether or not your baby has a defect. meaning, are you going to keep the baby regardless? if yes, don't take the test. you already know the outcome of the test doesn't matter, so don't take the test. and like i said, even if you take the test, you could wind up with a false positive, and just end up with more unnecessary worry and stress. i realize with your age you have a higher risk, but its all about whether or not the defect matters to you

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I got the blood test and it came back at a high risk that he might have down syndrome. I was a 1 in 175 chance that our child would have it and normally it is a 1 in 1500 so i opted to get an amnio to ease my mind and everything came back normal.
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 5:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I just had my ds in September and I am 35 yrs old. I didn't have the tests done because if my child did have something wrong with him like Downs I didn't want to have to worry about that my entire pregnancy. My son came out perfectly normal.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• since they only take blood to test it., i dont have an issue .. it came back normal for me, but now there is a possibility she is having a handicapp. found this out but being referred to a awesome woman and childrens hosp... off topic sorry. i did it twice, it up to u, and if u want to know the possibilities GL
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 5:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I didn't get it done. I was in my 20's and not at a high risk. My aunt had a false positive, and all it did was make her stress. Also, if I had a Down's baby, I wouldn't have aborted it or put it up for adoption, so it made no difference to me. The only thing it would have done, IF it was 100% correct, was give me time to research the condition and make myself as prepared as possible. But I didn't think the chance of a false positive was worth all that.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2011