is it too much to ask!?

is it too much to ask for just one, teensy weensy hour of the girls playing in their rooms? my oldest gets home from school around 3:15, i give all the children a snack (they're 4, 2, and 1) we talk about school and stuff, maybe color, whatever. then at 4 i ask them to play in the room til 5 when i start cooking. but i constantly have to tell them to go back to the room. my oldest has her own room and the younger two share and all the toys are spread out between both rooms, there is nothing entertaining and interesting out in the living room! why do we have all these toys when they'd rather be acting goofy with no toys in the living room? i just want one hour of peace, hell i'd take half an hour. it only frustrates me more to have to whisk them off to their room constantly. ONE HOUR! AHHH!!!!

ok, im done venting now and i feel better.

anyone else have a similar problem?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't have this problem. My two year old is actually the opposite, I have to encourage her to play with us in the living room. LOL I do have "mini-mommy-meltdowns" sometimes when I am in the middle of doing stuff and she just won't leave me alone. I've gotten so frustrated that I've had to lock myself in my room for a few minutes to cool off. Once I hit that point it is time for daddy to take over. LOL
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I do not think you can expect a 1 and 2 year old to play in their room by themselves. Why don't you use the younger ones naptimes while the four year old is at school for your own time.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My daughter is 4 and she just now started playing for a small length of time in her room by hserlf. At 2 and 1 I never even thought about execting that but I know how frustrating it can be to want to get something done.

Good luck to you!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think all moms do kids just want to feel free to do what they want unfortunately we have to wait until bed time to get your hour of peace

Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I know most people think this is horrible, but when I was a kid we had small locks on the highest part of all of our bedroom doors on the outside so our parents could lock us in our rooms. We never spent whole days in there with no food or bathroom breaks, before anybody says anything. Just when we refused to listen and wouldn't stay in our room, they made us understand that they were the parents and they were in charge and they locked us in to make a point. We got the idea and started to stay in our rooms when told and didn't need to be locked in any more. I plan to use it if my son is a carbon copy of me as a kid.
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Do you have a friend, neighbor or family member who will trade child care with you?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• well i dont expect it technically, i just would like for it to happen. the playpen is in my 4 year old's room, so my 1 year old is perfectly content in there for an hour playing independently. it's the 4 and 2 year old that keep coming out, the 4 year old is actually worse about doing it than the 2 year old. the 2 year old just follows the 4 year old everywhere.. lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011