Do you think Political Satire/Comedy is portraying a double standard?

"But as comedians try to find ways to poke fun at Obama, his race is unlikely to be the first place they look for material -- that is, for white comedians at least.
For black comedians, though, the sky's the limit, said black comedian and "30 Rock" actor Tracy Morgan.
"The president is black, so obviously we're going to make fun of every situation you could ever imagine about a black president," he told The New York Times.
"White comedians have got to roll the dice," he said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUKTRE4A97IX20081110?pageNumber=3&virtualBrandChannel=0

Have we become TOO sensitive and Politically Correct?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think people that laugh at themselves are better people, people shouldn't be offended by Obama getting played by a white person in makeup. He will be our President and they make fun of Presidents we need to thicken our skin.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• It's been that way for a long time. White comedians aren't allowed to talk crap about black people, but black comedians are allowed to diss black people, white people, hispanic people, asian people, you name it, they're fair game.

So I think a double standard with Obama is no different than with any other black public figure : /
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• The world isn't equal. It should be, but it isn't. So until it is, I am willing to concede that yes, white people cannot tease Obama about his race.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• The world isn't equal. It should be, but it isn't.

I agree. I read where some were upset about SNL using a white actor to play Obama. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/28/AR2008022803988_2.html
    interesting....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• "Have we become TOO sensitive and Politically Correct?"

Yes, we (we as a people) have.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Well if I was him I would say bring it on I want to make everyone comfortable stop being offended if you want equality he should say.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Fiveofakind2 The world isn't equal. It should be, but it isn't. So until it is, I am willing to concede that yes, white people cannot tease Obama about his race.
    **************
    I totally agree with you.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 5:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Not to mention if you want to stop racism why make it a bad thing to single out who can make fun of the President?
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Fiveofakind2 The world isn't equal.

******************

just look in here how people are even trying to micromanaged where his children go to school.

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 5:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I think white comedians should make fun of Obama. After all he is supposed to be for the people. It goes both ways and they sure did knock Sarah Palin around. They didn't do anything to Biden and not anything to Obama because he said you can't talk about me as if he is any different than the rest of us.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2008