So what do you do

When you see someone who has erratic, obsessive, or irrational behavior - like someone who compulsively posts incoherent rambling like Loughner had on YouTube. We've all seen them online, on fb, or here, or on blogs and things where people comment. If you see someone who is constantly ranting like that, do you think it makes you culpable if you don't report them to someone? Is it none of your business if the person you see ranting about people following the devil on Tuesday turn out to be the one who shoots up a crowd on Saturday? If someone who had seen Loughner's YouTube had reported it to someone last week, do you think it would've prevented what happened this weekend?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think if one has KNOWLEDGE of ramblings that mention harming a SPECIFIC person or group, along with named places or events, then it SHOULD be reported to the proper authorities and allow THEM to investigate! Otherwise, the incoherent ramblings of a mentally unstable individual can be chalked up to just that! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Maybe we should report grace?
    Anonymous

• I don't think the "report" button does TOO much on any website. They may pull the content, but what else can they do?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• That's another question - if someone is repeatedly reported to a website for erratic behavior, are THEY then responsible to pass that info on, or are they covered by the same "not it" clause that protects the file-sharing websites?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'm not culpable cuz I'll report your ass right now! :) O wait - maybe you should report me

No, seriously --- you can't hold everyone accountable that ever had an encounter with this guy and thought to themselves "that fool ain't right" - Maybe those closest too him should have done or said something (But done what? said something to whom?) It's like having a kid that getting in trouble --- there are a hundred programs available to your family AFTER your kid screws up, but there's less than 5 to help you keep him from ever getting in trouble......  and their rules alone can keep you from getting him help before it's too late.....we have a mixed up society.

ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 5:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• There are a couple on here who obsessively hate Republicans and Sarah Palin I have wondered if I should report them to Cafemom. I haven't because who knows how serious they are in their rantings and if you report you might be simply getting a lonely bored man or woman who is seeking some attention in trouble. Very difficult to know who is crazy and who is simply an attention seeker anymore.
    Anonymous

• But done what? said something to whom?

That's what I'm getting at. Anyone who saw those videos on YT could see immediately that something was very wrong. I'd liken it to watching someone down a fifth of vodka and get behind the wheel, only there's no such thing as 911 - who do you tell?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Probably depends on circumstances, but if I knew someone made specific threats of violence I would report it. If they are just a little strange and tend to rant about things that offend people, it really depends on the circumstances and how much I know about them that makes me concerned about their well being.

In the Loughner case, it sounds like many people saw bits and pieces of indications that something was really wrong with him, but someone SHOULD have known enough to get him help. It sounds like one teacher was afraid of him, while another thought he had a learning disability and Tourette Symdrome tics. Few people knew how bad it was, I guess. Even if he was simply isolating himself due to depression, someone should have tried to help him. As a society, I think we need to raise awareness and reduce the stigma attached to mental illness, so these people can be helped before they hurt themselves or others.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• *Syndrome
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• FBI?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011