A joke...

I just thought I would share something I found funny from The Onion (which is a satire, or FAKE news website if you're not familiar with it). I thought this was cute. What do you think?

Report: Majority Of Money Donated At Church Doesn't Make It To God

WASHINGTON—A shocking report released Monday by the Internal Revenue Service revealed that more than 65 percent of the money donated at churches across the world never reaches God. "Unfortunately, almost half of all collections go toward administrative expenses such as management, utilities, and clerical costs," said Virginia Raeburn, a spokesperson for the Lord Almighty, adding that another 25 percent of heavenly funding is needed just to cover payroll for the angelic hierarchy. "People always assume God is filthy rich, but they'd be surprised to learn His net worth is only around $8 million—and most of that is tied up in real estate." According to Raeburn, God currently has enough money saved to live comfortably throughout all eternity, but He may be forced to shutter a number of under-performing religions.

a>

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• LoL.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• laughingThat is funny. Everyone knows God is a single parent. He really needs that money.

2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 4:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Well darn I guess we now know why God doesn't pay child support. (Joke joke a bad one I know) But LOL at this post.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Lol at the story, Pam19.

Extra lol @wichqueen. Kind of ironic, isn't it?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• The Onion has gotten kind of stale these days... however this is an example of a good laugh they've provided. In this particular case though, though they may have posted it as satire, I think is an incredibly important and valid point. Most of the organized religions that I've seen really don't exist for "God", they simply exist to line someone's pockets. The "religions" that pay their ministers/etc. are typically the worst.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 4:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• The "religions" that pay their ministers/etc. are typically the worst.

----

Well, their ministers do need to eat, so I don't mind if they get paid, but I agree with your main point about some churches having enormous amounts of wealth. But...I didn't post to debate where churches should or shouldn't spend their donations, just to give people a laugh. :-D
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• There are some churches where the "ministers" (or whatever the similar position title may be) that have regular full time jobs to support themselves and their families. Their work for the church is all volunteer. IF I were going to support a religion, it would be one like that.

And yeah, I don't really have much interest in debating where churches spend their money. Perhaps more of an interest in pointing out a general "Hey, have you thought about where your church is spending the money you donate?".That question is one of a very long list of reasons I don't personally support any organized religions. It's not a question that needs to be answered to anyone but oneself.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Perhaps more of an interest in pointing out a general "Hey, have you thought about where your church is spending the money you donate?".That question is one of a very long list of reasons I don't personally support any organized religions.

---

I've never been big on ORGANIZED religion either. I understand. :-)
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Can we just leave it as a funny joke and not take yet another chance to bash (or get too defensive about) Christianity- its a joke- at least that is how it was initially presented.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2011