Mom's who don't have to work, but chose to anyway, what is the reason?

Do you do it for extra cash? Adult interaction? The love of the job? All of the above? :-) Just wondering!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• All of the above...and if something happens with my husband's job, I can take up the slack. Hopefully. I only wait tables.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• For me personally its because I enjoy working.
    I "retired" a few years ago to be home with my dd during some hard times in school. After a few months it wasnt fun anymore...lol
    Right now Ive been back to FT for 2 years but in April I will leave to move, give myself a few months to get our house settled, get the kid in school then i will find something PT so I can have a flexible schedule.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I work because its hard to be jobless and there is only so much of said stbx I can stand. I like to have things and go places and most of all I would like to retire and not have to eat cat food.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• So she doesnt go crazy . I was a stay at home mom till my son was 4. It helps a mom to socialize!
    lovinmyangel81

Answer by lovinmyangel81 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Because if something were to happen to my husband, or his job, I wouldn't want to be shit out of luck.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I like working. I don't need the money my husband makes in the high six figures. I really enjoy the work I do and my income (low six figures) allows us to save even more and travel as much as we like. I work from 6am until 3pm Monday-Friday my husband works from 8am to 5 pm Monday - Friday. The kids are not home until 3:45 from school so no daycare is required and I have 45 minutes to get a few things done before they get home. My kids have a loving home with two happy parents whick makes for a happy home in general. 

Anonymous

• I almost went back to work part-time (ideal!).

My reasons:
    --6 years of SAHM-ness has shown me that I'm a better worker. I like to have some short-term goals (shorter than 20-30 years), I like to have recognition and feel like I've accomplished something. And breaks.
    --I really miss talking to people. I have few local friends/family and my husband doesn't like to talk. I miss co-workers!
    --When I do run into people, once they find I'm a SAHM, they clam up like we have nothing in common. I have no work stories to share. In social gatherings, I feel useless & wish I "was" someone
    --I do love to use my brain and solve problems, but I'm better with "how can I filter these numbers out?" than "how do I stop her crying?"
    --The idea of having "me/work time" and "family time" clearly delineated is very appealing
    --Extra money I can give away, and job experience
    --My youngest would LOVE school. Now we have no money/excuse to send her
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Making my own money is important to me....plus I'm more than a mom and a wife, I'm intellegent and like the challenge. As far as our business that I manage from home....I do all our advertising and I created and maintain our website, completely self taught.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I work from home because I love having that extra money for my Nails, Pedicures, Eyebrows, Hair, etc. All those extras I need to have. I have the best of both worlds!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• All of the above!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2011