David's Bridal update IF YOU THINK ABOUT GOING TO DAVID'S BRIDAL, THINK AGAIN, UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE CRAP AND BE LIED TO

This is the post I posted a few days ago
So I bought my wedding dress a while back and went today to get measured for alterations. The dress was about $850 after taxes. When I bought the dress, I told the woman that I could spend no thene $1000 on the dress including alterations. Now, this was the last one they had, and they had stopped making it and it was 1 size too big. I LOVED the dress but I was thinking that the alterations would be too much. I looked online from my cell phone and saw that another david's bridal had the dress in my size, and I was thinking about getting it there. I asked her how much it would be and she said it would be no more then $150 but she said with either dress it would need to be hemed (I am 4 '11) and that would be 120, so she said that taking it in would only be $30. Well this other David's bridal was about an hour away and in a bad part of town so I figured it would be worth to spend the extra $30, especially because I would have to go 3 times (1 to buy the dress, 2 for the fitting and 3 to pick it up) so really with gas, I would be saving money. Anyway, today I went for my fitting and the alterations were $378 (remember the girl said at most it would be $150) Anyway I asked to speak to the manager and told her what I had been told. She brought the girl who sold it in and asked her and the girl said that she never quoted me a price on alterations. Too bad for her my mom was with me today and the day we bought the dress and she backed me up. The manager told me to call the main office as there wasn't anything she could do but they should be able to do something (she said they would prob refund what I paid for alterations except for the $150 that I had been told it would be) I have called but I called after 5 so they will be getting back with me on monday about it. Basically, what they told me is that some sales people will tell you the alterations will be less in order to make you think you will stay within your budget so that you will buy the dress and they will get the commission. I can't believe that this woman did this, but I hope, in addition to helping me, the main office with deal with her because that is horrible that she would do this

Update

I got a call back today saying that all they were willing to do was refund 20% of my alterations!!!! Are they crazy, their consultent make a $228 mistake (that is the difference between what she said the alterations would be and what they really were) and they are only willing to refund about $75??? Don't shop at David's Bridal, the consultents are rude and snotty, and they will tell you whatever you want to hear to make a sale. The consultent wasn't even allowed to quote me a price, she should have brought out a seemstress but she didn't because she knew the alterations would put me oer my budget so she just lied. I am so disapointed!!!! I will say I have the brides maid's, flower girl and mother of the bride and groom dresses to get and we will NOT be getting them from David's Bridal!!!!

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Shopping

• Sorry you had a bad experience.
    Anonymous

• Get everything in writing next time.
    I bought my dress from them and was very happy with their selection & service. I even bought my cruise dress for formal night there as well.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have been there a couple of times with a friend and I liked it, so sorry you had a bad experience.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It wouldn't have helped, they know they consultent told me the wrong amount and even the manager said is was prob to get the sale and 20% off alterations is all they are doing
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If it's not to late take your alteration business elsewere. my good friend just bought her dress at David's last month but had the alterations done through a woman who works out of her home for a 1/4 of what David's Bridal wanted.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 5:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I thought about doing it somewhere else, but it is a complicated dress and if the person I get messes up on it, I'm SOL but if David's Bridal messes up on it, they have to replace it.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• You cant judge *ALL* of davids bridal because of 1 store.. or 1 person.

I am thankful for Davids Bridal! I was a "last minute bride"... I picked out my dress & it was altered & ready to be picked up in 24hrs & was perfect..I was treated greatly..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have to say, they are not my favorite either. My sister bought her dress there after she already picked one but when we were shopping for my wedding dress, she saw another she fell in love with. Told her try it on, she bought it. My bridesmaid dress for her wedding, came in smaller than the size we ordered, so in order to have the dress ready in time, they needed to add a panel of material to the side of the dress (seriously!). They did this and I went in for my fitting and it looked horrific. The stitching was snagged and bunchy-looking, and the panel looked very obvious and DISCOLORED! You can see plain as day the colors were not the same between the dress and the panel of material. I was so sad to wear this dress but afraid to tell my sister. She asked how the fitting went and I told her everything and she was LIVID. She went with me and when she saw it, not only did she see my sad face, she...,CONT'D.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 5:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• CONT'D...

She went off on the people there. She asked if they could not see how shoddy it looked and how obvious the colors didn't match, and once the BRIDE made a stink, they listened and said they'd fix it in time - her wedding was only 5 days away. That was why I was so upset and they didn't see the issue when I initially said something. Glad I told my sister afterall. They did fix it, but the whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth and I ended up not getting my dress there. If I get married again (I'm divorced), I will NOT be purchasing a dress there for sure.

Sorry for your experience, OP. It's too bad you can't get your money back. You may want to let the BBB know about the experience, as well as David's Bridal Corporate office.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 5:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I did call the corporate office, they were the one' s who offered the joke of a 20% off my alterations when they were 3 times what the consultant told me the would be

When looking for the number to call and talk to someone about my problems with the store, I found all of these reviews, mostly negative. I with I had read them before going David's Bridal.

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3720667606/davids-bridal-corporate-office-conshohocken
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011