I don't get it...why do so many women think they are fat?

I really don't understand it...i hear women all the time saying they are fat or too big & they are a size 11 to 16. I honestly don't think that that is big. I have friends that are a size 14 or 15 & they look great. It just makes me so mad that society makes you feel like in order to be pretty you need to be a size 2 or something! I used to be a size 1 & i hated it, people would think i was anorexic or something & i don't blame them because honestly i did not look good being that size. I now wear a size 12  in juniors & feel that i am a good weight. Maybe it's just me idk, just my own opinion.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Asked by iluvmykidsxoxo at 5:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• society and media have made size 1 be "ideal". women feel this way because they are following what society has told them to. you can only look good in your own skin if you believe it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Because media and society tell them they are fat unless they are a size 3.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think a size 11-16 is large. It also depends on the person. A size 11 may not seem very large on a tall woman, but it will seem large on someone as short as i am (5'2")

I'm glad you feel good at your weight, i wish more woman would. But, since i was a skinny person most of my life, i feel ackward being the size that i am. I would feel better about myself if i dropped a few sizes & I'm about a size 8. It's not society either that makes me feel this way. When i was a teen, i was quite the athlete & i still have that mentality in me somewhere. When i look in the mirror & see my spare tire all i see is "LAZINESS" and i don't want to be like that.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have never been this big. Before I had children I was a size 10. Now i either wear 16 or 18. My BMI is 33 which is obese. I don't feel good this big. I need to lose about 60-70 pounds to be in a healthy range.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 5:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I wish i felt better about myself. I am in a size 10/12 and feel nasty.. and feel i LOOK nasty..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Because according to health recommendations, we are. My doctor told me I am overweight. He didn't need to tell me, I knew already.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• samuriachic-Right i understand that because i am 5' 7 so maybe it evens things out a little bit but people still consider this to be fat. I think its dumb. I also used to be toothpick skinny before i had kids lol! But i truly am happy with my weight & wish women would see the beauty in themselves no matter how big.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Comment by iluvmykidsxoxo (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• People can see beauty in themselves all day, but when you're fat and unhealthy IMO there is nothing attractive about that.

Society and media have become much more lenient towards curvy women, just look at Kim Kardashian, Beyonce, and Rihanna. They're all very beautiful, and very curvy... They're also healthy.

There is no excuse in the world to not take care of yourself. Yes you should always love yourself regardless of your size or hair color, but you also need to understand when you're simply not healthy.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I agree with you razelda...if you are obese and it is causing health problems then yes that is not ok & something should be done to maintain a healthy lifestyle. But women can still be big,curvy, beautiful & healthy just like you said!
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Comment by iluvmykidsxoxo (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Tyra has admitted that she's a size 12. A very funny comedian that i cannot remember her name at the moment, some Southern girl, admitted she was a size 16! bigger than me, but she looked thin and beautiful. she was just very tall. and so is Tyra. i dont think OP is talking about severely obese women that are 300+ pounds. but a lot of plus size models are in the 11-16 size range and you wouldn't even know it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011