"your baby can read" great product or scam?

I keep seeing the Your Baby Can Read infomercials on TV and it LOOKS like a great teaching tool but I also know that great scams exist. I was wondering if any mommas out there have used this and what do you think of it?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 5:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Why would you want that? You could probably teach a baby anything, but is it worthwhile?
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• SCAM!!!! Let your BABY be a baby. Read to them everyday, point out words, letters, etc. talk to them. They will be spending 13 years in school learning and having things drilled in their heads. Let them enjoy being a baby and kid.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Any time spent with your child in an enjoyable activity is worthwhile.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It does look neat!
    If I had a baby I'd be tempted to buy it too!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It is a waste of money and a memorizing technique, nothing more. The best thing you can do to foster reading is to read to your child often.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think they are a waste of money because they are the same things you could be teaching your children yourself easily at home.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 5:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't think it's a scam, but I DO think it's a WASTE of money, if you wanted to ''teach yr baby to read'' you can make this at home yur own self!!!!!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It looks too good to be true in my opionon. I also agree with the moms that say a baby should be a baby.
    IsaiahsMommy3

Answer by IsaiahsMommy3 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• 30 years ago:-D my hubby and I did some of this stuff. The author said keep it fun! But we soon realized we weren't "keeping it fun". We quit after teaching our son less than 15 words. Let them be babies and READ to them.
    mom2-8

Answer by mom2-8 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't think you need to go out and buy a special product to teach a child. I have a friend whose son could point out several countries on a map by the time he was a year old. Why? Because she had a map of the world taped up over his changing table, and every time she changed him there, she would point out one of the countries. She didn't go out and buy a special learning tool.

I don't think Your Baby Can Read is a scam; it's just a marketing gimmick.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 5:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011