how do i get her to stop arguing with me!!!! pls help!!

dd is 6, and she argues with me about EVERYTHING when it comes to doing her homework! she struggles ALOT with reading and math..but when we sit down to work on her math OMG its hard! i know what 2+3='s...lol..but when she tells me the answer is 4, and i said no its not, she YELLS saying that it is..and then when i try and show her she gets even more upset. so i tell her to stop arguing with me, and then she says shes not! OMG!!!!!!!! how do i fix this??

and now shes working on addition that adds up to either 7, 8 or 9..she had 4 in a row that the answers was 9..and then she tells me shes sick of the answer being 9!! so shes not going to write that anymore...and i told her, well if thats what the answer is..then thats what you have to put down.."BUT I DONT WANT TO!!!" is what she says.!!! wow, talk about frustrating!!

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think getting a tutor is probably the best bet because i doubt she's going to go all ape shit on a stranger.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 5:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It sounds like she is frustrated and poss ashamed. id consider getting her a tutor GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• You might suggest the school consider testing her for learning disabilities. If she has some problem, she is probably very frustrated. Learning disabilities have nothing to do with intelligence. You should certainly talk to the school counselor about the issue.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I too would talk to her teacher to see if she becomes frustrated when doing classroom work. If not, then try having someone else help her with her math. Kids act differently with different people.
    LisaR25

Answer by LisaR25 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• okay now mom he goes i use button and put them on a string when she was right at the end of the home work she would get star
    by the end of the week those stars where spend on some thing they wanted to do
    a movie of their own to watch or shop trip to pick up treat what ever and yes it does work
    and mom you have to pick your fights because when she is older you will have other problems
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 5:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• maybe u could try swapping homework duty with a friend. Doing homework with my child is infuriating, but it is easier with other kids for some reason. Maybe she would do better with a different helper
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Get some spoons, cups, blocks, whatever, out and make the math visual. It might be a big help. I have to admit I was LOL at her being sick of the answer always being 9!! I found that saying "I understand" helped a lot when helping my one son do homework. I agreed with him on some boring issues but pointed out the teacher still wanted an answer written down. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• There is a wonderful book called Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort. Learn more here:   http://www.naomialdort.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 10:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2011