Do you think it is right if a couple stays together only for the kid(s)?

Do you think it is right if a couple stays together only for the kid(s)? I am curious how other people feel about this.

IsaiahsMommy3

Asked by IsaiahsMommy3 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Not if they are unhappy. Its just as bad for kids to live in an unhappy household.
    ladyraven16

Answer by ladyraven16 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• No. If the parents are not happy the kids are going to know and they will be miserable too.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 5:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• No. If they are unhappy they are teaching their kids being in an unhappy relationship is normal.

Answer by gemgem at 5:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Nope, been there done that and my son, who was only 3 at the time could SEE how miserable I was. We were both much happier when we left
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If the couple can't get along and fight all the time then they need to stop living together.
    If they can act as friends and get along then yes they should live together and raise the kids together
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• That's pretty much what we're doing right now. We don't fight anymore or anything, because we each do our own thing, so it's actually not bad. We still eat together as a family and do our shopping together, we just don't sleep in the same bed or go out on dates or anything anymore. The whole lovey dovey crap is gone, but we're very civil with each other.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My honest opinion:

I believe that if a couple has kids they should work as hard as they can to make the marriage/relationship work.

I don't like the idea of divorce. Kids who are living with divorced parents have more issues than children who's parents are still together. They aren't as depressed, their grades are good, and they live happier/healthier lives rather than switching houses every week or weekend. It's been proven.

BUT, I'm not bashing divorced parents by any means. Just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• I did it for the last ten years now I would turn around and tell the next couple staying for the kids does not make your life better nor does it make it easier to stay and sometimes the kids know your just there for them.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• 2 Happy homes is better than 1 unhappy home.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I totally agree with Anonymous. However in certain situations, staying together becomes more damaging to the children than splitting up (IE, when there's substance abuse or domestic violence). In general, I believe people give up on marriages way to easily these days and that if people tried harder to be compromising and even self-sacrificing, more marriages could be saved and kids not put the wringer with a splitting family.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011