How long did you...

Breastfeed, let your baby have a pacifier, take away their bottle?

I breastfed for 5 months, took away the pacifier at 6 months, and took away the bottle 3 weeks before my son turned one.

Most of the older ladies I've talked to say it was cruel or mean to take away the pacifier and bottle when I did. I don't know it just worked for me.

Thoughts?

Bugzmomma

Asked by Bugzmomma at 5:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• With my first: Breastfed 8 months, took away bottle at 11 months, pacifier hung around until he was 3

With my second: Breastfed 8 months, he is still on the bottle at 18 months, never wanted a pacifier
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• dd1- breastfed 2 weeks, took paci & bottle away at 16 months.
    dd2 - no breastmilk. not even a drop. my choice. took paci away at 12 months and bottle away around 13-14 months.
    dd3- breastfeed 2 weeks, shes turning 12 months tomorrow, still uses her paci at bedtime but has been off the bottle for a month. she only drinks out of her sippy now.

i dont find it cruel. i find that it works for my family and each family is different.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I breastfed both for around 13 months.

My oldest had a pacifier when he was a toddler still. I can't remember when we took it away.
    My youngest never had a pacifier.

Neither of them ever had a bottle.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Breastfed my daughter until I got pregnant with #2. She was about 11 months old. Switched her to a cup at about the same time and she lost weight, so the doctor had me start her on a bottle. She used a bottle until 18 months and I just took it away one night. I let them both use a pacifier at night until they decided to give it up. My daughter was about 2 and my son was 3. My son breastfed until 7 months when he rejected me. He used a bottle until 12 months and I just replaced it with a sippy cup one morning. No problem.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Breastfed the first until she was 3 mths then had a car accident and couldnt anymore. Never had a pacy for her. Bottle took away around 16 mths.
    Second pacy until he was 2 lol, bottle at around 14 mths, didnt breastfeed
    Third, no pacy, bottle around 14-15 mths too, didnt breastfeed
    fourth: Breastfed around 8 mths, pacy until around 4 mths old, and no bottle ever, straight to tippy cup
    5th: breastfed around 8 mths, pacy around 4 mths, and no bottle straight to cup

Answer by gemgem at 5:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• With my dd, I breastfed for 6 months, paci gone at 2 yrs...and I don't remember about the bottle.
    With my ds, I breastfed for 2 1/2 years...he never had a bottle or a pacifier in his life.
    FlyHippie

Answer by FlyHippie at 5:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have 2 children and I breastfed both of them until slightly over a year old. My son (older child) was never really on a bottle because I was a stay at home mom. My daughter never attatched to it really (working mom with her). And neither one really attatched to a passifier- so I didn't have to worry about taking the bottle or passifier away. My son kinda weaned himself from breastfeeding. My daughter did too-during the day. But very attatched to breastfeeding at night- for comfort.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I never breastfed. All 4 of my older kids stopped using their bottles around the time they turned 1, whenever the formula ran out (earliest was 11 1/2 months, latest was 13 months). My oldest dd was 2 when she stopped using a pacifier (on her own). The middle dd was 2 1/2 when I convinced her to give it up. The youngest dd was 23 months when I took hers away (and she was not ready, she screamed every night for an hour for 2 weeks straight). My youngest son gave his up around 3 months old and hasn't taken one since (he's 6 months now). My older son never took one.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I didnt breastfeed....But I took away the bottle around 7-8 months and I took the bink away at 1 yr...but then he got really sick and I gave it back so he'd sleep and now I have to break him of it again from bedtime.... but he's 14 months now so I'm gonna do it again soon.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 6:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I attempted breastfeeding for 3 months. He stopped taking the pacifier on his own around 2-3 months. Bottles ended at about a year.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2011