Prove yourself or Keep the peace?

what would you consider the best approach in dealing with a difficult manipulative individual. If someone always liked to feel needed and right would you argue your point to them and prove yourself, or would you just let them believe and do what they want while ignoring and avoiding them and keep the peace?

thelovelymzbre

Asked by thelovelymzbre at 5:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• You probably would not be able to prove your point to them if what you said is correct.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Well, i a firm believer in behaving humbly. If that person needs to always have the upper hand, i would have no problem letting them have it. I don't need my ego ruffled to feel good about myself. I'm sure i would be a total smart ass though....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would let them go because you know your right and arguing with people like that is not worth it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• having my inlaw live with us and her not wanting to move out because she 'feels' we need her around. We have pretty much been secluded from her and ignoring her rants hoping that she will get the picture because our words have meant nothing to her and she is becoming more of a nuisance than a house guest. Her own child wants her to leave more than I do, I just want him to be happy about coming home.
    thelovelymzbre

Comment by thelovelymzbre (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I dont argue with people anymore. If I know Im right I dont need to prove anything. For instance my husband will sit and tell me I am wrong about something totally mundane (like what time a movie starts). I will say ok but I looked and it said this but we can go when you want to. We go and lo and behold I was right. So see, no reason to argue.

Answer by gemgem at 6:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If it is your home you could get the law involved.
    Anonymous

• I always try to evaluate the importance of the subject. I ask myself if it will matter tomorrow or a year from now. What impact will be from not saying anything? What is the impact from saying something? Will it bring hurt or misunderstanding or will it bring about peace? Only if it is going to matter that much do I say something.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have had a couple of people in my life like this. I would state my case (I make sure I'm right before correcting someone). If they choose to ignore me I let them believe what they want. What else can you do? You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink lol.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• There are some people that if you keep arguing with them, you will not see an end in sight. Sometimes, you have to swallow your pride.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2011