Help me get out of this mess!

Long story short, I got 2 tickets to this show my husband I were going to go to on Saturday but he was scheduled to work, so I said I was going to take my friend and he said that was fine. She is excited to go but is in need of a babysitter. As of yesterday, my husband is no longer scheduled to work and now he wants to go. But what am I supposed to tell my friend?

Also, if she still does go, she's asking if my husband would watch her daughter since he'll already be at home with our son, and while she did watch our son for us on NYE, I still don't know if it's fair to ask my husband to watch her daughter instead of going with me, even though he already said it was fine that I take her when he thought he had to work. What should I do??? It's a sold out show and I got the tickets through work so I can't get anymore and just have all of us go.

All I wanted was a night to enjoy, and it's already a mess!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• If she is your friend, tell her and let her decide how to handle it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'd take your friend. He's less likely to hold a grudge than she would

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If it was me, I would take my husband. DH is more important than anyone else, but that's just me. Your friend will understand. If she doesn't understand, then maybe she is not a good friend.
    Anonymous

• Hmm..that is tricky! Does your friend know what you asked her because DH originally couldn't go?
    Who would you rather go with?

I would probably say my husband and would tell my friend that he has a rare night off and would love to see that show so you're going to have to go with him...but perhaps you could meet up next week and have a meal out or go to the cinema or something?

So if you offer her an alternative and make it clear that you do still want to see her,..hopefully it wont be such a mess!

Good luck! and enjoy your show :)
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 6:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If I were in this situation, it would depend on the friend. I have my bestfriend who would much rather let my husband and I enjoy a night out..so that type of friend, I would let her know the situation and she'd be perfectly fine with it. I have another friend who really likes the opportunity to get away from her kids for once and she would be pretty disappointed...her, I would just ask my husband to stay home for this one and apologize to him. I think it really depends on the type of friend you invited.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Considering you ahve already invited her Id feel bad ditching her. Bring it up and see if she offers to hand over her ticket. But in the end Id take her just to be fair
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• hubby said i have to work then you ask friend say sorry honey but it is girl night do mind if you babysit while we go out have girls night
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 6:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would explain to her that your dh is now available to go to the concert and see how she responds. If she seems put off you could continue your plans with her. Although I find it unfair to have your dh babysit her dd. Your dh could use this time for some special bonding time with his ds. but if she is unable to find child care, that may open up the night for you and dh. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would still take my friend. Express regret that his plans changed and let him know you'd love for him to go with you, but you've already asked your friend. It wouldn't be fair to her. You couldn't foresee a change in his work plans. And I would ask him if he would baby-sit for her since he will be at home with your son anyway. He should understand and not want you to be in a mess.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 11:22 AM on Jan. 13, 2011