School budget crisis??!! Get this!

Not our county, but one a few counties over: Wake County schools budget crisis

They are now considering:
*pay to play (sports)
*fees for unexcused absences and suspensions
*charging renters (those who rent apartments or homes)
*students bring in $1 every month

Renters, I suppose because they don't pay the taxes homeOWNERS pay.
I think this particular county's school system is always in trouble. Seems to me it's always in the news.
How ridiculous is this?

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's totally ridiculous and needs a serious overhaul!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Is it Wake County? What state? Renters pay rent that goes to pay the taxes from the home owners. I think if the school board does not understand this, it is no surprise they are broke.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Renters do pay taxes. Landlords factor those costs into the rent. When I went to high school there was no sports funding and no school lunches. The sports boosters payed for sports and we all packed our lunch.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If I didnt know better I'd swear you were talking about OUR local schol district. They have elminimated so much already, I am surprised they dont want the students to bring candles to school so they can turn the lights off sooner! There are so many people sick of how things are being run, from local levels, to Federal levels. We are in desperate need of an overhaul of some people who have some COMMON SENSE! (& arent crooked or greedy) Do any of those types of people even exist?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• North Carolina.
    Then, I don't understand why renters should have to send in any money, when homeowners don't. I don't understand why ANY of the kids should have to.
    This is just another attempt to revamp their system. But it seems to just get worse and worse. It seems every few months the news shows it's worse and worse. I think it was at a meeting for THIS county that there was a shooting just a few weeks ago. A school board meeting. It's crazy. Paying to play sports, I can kinda understand. Kinda. But for the absences and suspensions? Why the hell should anyone pay for their child being suspended from school? When their child won't even BE IN the school?
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It has to do with our Governor. This last year NC tax revenues were down because we had one of the highest unemployment rates. When people dont work, they dont pay taxes. When people dont make alot of money, they pay less in taxes. When you dont have tax money, you cannot pay for things like police, firemen, schools etc. Last year we had to wait almost 6 mths for our tax refund because they couldnt pay citizens. Our county was $227k short on revenue and they were talking about making kids pay to ride the bus. Instead they cut back on other things to pay for school things. So were sitting here on day 4 out of school because the county doesnt have the plows to dig us out.
    If you want to see change vote these morons out of office who dont have the experience or knowledge to balance a budget.

Answer by gemgem at 6:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yeah, renters really get screwed. When I rented, I had to pay the homeowner taxes, (he raised the rent each time they went up) then there were renter school taxes too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We have always had pay to play

Cost my daughter 90 bucks for softball and 35 for my sons t-ball

Cheerleading was a killer and my son will start football this summer 100 bucks
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Thats crazy. Raleigh and around that area is retarded for doing something like that. It doesn't surprise me though. Aren't their school system wearing school uniforms now? I live in onslow county on the coast of NC.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I pay $600 for my child to play high school soccer.
    Anonymous